Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

new laptop

• Please log in to reply

trapt1790

trapt1790

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
Just got a new laptop and wondering if anyone can help me turn off some of the processes that start up. I'm not used to a laptop so I'm scared to start turning things off with msconfig. Any help guiding me to what I need and dont really need would be helpful.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
These web sites can help you understand what the different processes are. It will take some work on your part but if you take your time you can get control of what autostarts on your computer.

Black Viper's Services Configuration
Sysinfo.org
Answers That Work
NetSquirrel

Before doing anything in this area, make a full registry backup. One of the best ways to do this is install ERUNT. Allow it to place an entry in your Startup folder when it asks to, then it will backup the registry every time you boot. Only takes a few seconds and has no impact on how long it takes to boot. This gives you an easy way to recover if you disable something that causes you serious problems. Normally this is not a big deal as you can simply go back into msconfig and re-enable it, but just in case ...

Once you get it installed, create a manual backup then proceed with your quest.