Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Firefox acting up. Please Help me!

• Please log in to reply

shiftystud22

shiftystud22

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
Hello. I have been using Firefox now for about 4 months and I love it. After restarting my computer I opened firefox and the google toolbar installation keeps popping up, not allowing me to exit. So then i find that all my settings were reset to default and all my bookmarks are gone. Also when I try to uninstall the google toolbar it says it will remove after restarting firefox, but then when I restart I find myself back where I started. Is there anyway I can get my settings and bookmarks back, and the google toolbar gone?? Please help me!!!!

Advertisements

reconman

reconman

• PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
I would download the latest version of FireFox and install it. If the problem still persists, there might be something going on in your profiles folder of firefox (located in C:\Documents and Settings\User\Local Settings\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles). You should see a folder that's named with a random string of 8 letters and numbers with .default at the end. If you made a custom profile, you should see that in there as well. If you didn't make a custom profile and there's no one else that uses the computer or made a profile and you see a profile other than the ".default" one, you could have some problems.

hary

hary

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
To uninstall the Google toolbar.

Only download Fx from the official Mozilla site..

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
this may be to late for you but..
losing all your bookmarks is a real pain..especially if you have hundreds like I do..to avoid this problem back them up periodically..
In firefox click Bookmarks ... Manage Bookmarks and then in the ...Bookmarks Manager( organize )... window click File ... Export... This creates a .html/.htm file with the bookmarks in the place of your choice....( I just send it to my desktop)
burn the file to cd and I just attach a copy of it to a email to myself to my web based email like yahoo or gmail...that way if ever something goes wrong you can just grab a copy and put them all back..
I learned this the hard way several years back after having to do a complete reinstall of XP...

shiftystud22

shiftystud22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Thanks a lot! I seem to have it back up and running smoothly.

stars1234

stars1234

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Glad it's up and going again.

I assume you know, but in case not; FF automatically makes backups of your bookmarks.

You can set the number by typing "about:config" in the address bar; then set the value in "browser.bookmarks.max_bookmarks."

You can find the saved, backup bookmarks in the Mozzilla, firefox, profile area of your system.

Such as this on my computer: C:\WINDOWS\Profiles\[user name]\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\0sjh33y9.default\bookmarkbackups

If you can't find them any other place, they may still be in their folder.

If so, you can copy the location of the one you want and paste it in the "import" section of the bookmark's manager.