Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

interesting video driver problem

• Please log in to reply

deamos

deamos

• Pip
  • 8 posts
This is a new one for me. I just upgraded this computer from a illeagal version of xp pro, to a legitimate copy using a xp pro upgrade disc. During the install process i got an error saying it could not find sisagp.sys, after looking online most places said to cancel that message and move on. (advice was followed) Now my screen came up fuggly at 1280 x 1024 at 32 bit (I don't believe this, it's too fuggly to be right). however i have no video adapter either in my
display properties->settings->advanced->adapter
or in my device manager. There is a properties button in the adapter type window under the display properties tree listed above. when i click on that I get VgaSave as the adapter type, under the driver tab i get
Service name: VgaSave
Display name: VgaSave
current status
Startup Type: system

it's looking like a service not a driver. when i try to install my radeon drivers, they tell me i have no vga driver already installed, and to install one before trying to install the radeon drivers.

I have never seen anything like this. Any advice on how to atleast get the standard vga driver installed? unfortunetly there are no windows in the display driver tab to change driver, as there are normally, nor as mentioned earlier is there a video adapter under the device manager.

Thank you in advance for what ever help is given, this has been really baffling.
-George

Attached Thumbnails

• snapshot_of_windows.jpg

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
First, good move on going legal.

Second, you probably should have gone with a clean install. I think all you need is a system chip driver, but clean installs are so much nicer in the long run.

List your motherboard (you can download everest home if you don't know it)

http://www.lavalys.c...ang=en&pageid=3

deamos

deamos

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
My motherboard is an Asus A7S333
the video card is an ATI Radeo 9600 SE
and thank you for the advice on everest home, that is an amazing program.
unfortunetly I'm not familiar enough with xp to do a clean install and still keep all my
settings and data.
-George

deamos

deamos

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I managed to solve this problem, the issue when installing was the sisagp.sys, after looking through the everest home, i noticed that most of the motherboard peripherals were sis, so i figured it was my motherboard agp driver, i reinstalled that, then reinstalled the radion drivers, and everything came back just fine. I also found a website that chronicals this in a better fasion then I just did.

http://www.subwolf.o...s.php?article=1

thank you very much for your help, it lead me down the path to solve this problem.
-George