Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC won't start (most of the time)

• Please log in to reply

CeeJay01

CeeJay01

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi to all

I have a problem with a PC that's about a year old and wonder if anyone can help me as it's doing my head in.

The problem is when the power button is pressed to turn on the PC different faults occur, they are:

1. Most times the fans start and run for about 5 seconds then it shuts down.

2. Sometimes completes POST and I get the single beep then it shuts down.

3. Sometimes gets to the Windows logo with the blue scrolling boxes on the screen then it shuts down.

4. Sometimes even gets to display the Users and then shuts down.

5. Most of the time it takes 10 to 12 goes and then it finally boots properly, now it's driving me mad.

PC is made up of
ASUS M2V motherboard
Athlon X64 4.2 Ghz Dual core processor
250 GB SATA Western Digital Hard Drive
2GB Ram
512MB Nvidia Graphics Card.
CD ROM
DVD writer
Floppy drive
Running Windows XP Home

A previous problem I have had was that during a clean install of Windows it would get to 11% of the installation and then an error message would appear. After 6 attempts to install and 2 different Windows discs, this problem was located to a faulty stick of RAM which was promptly removed and then Windows installed OK.

I have now tried swapping the SATA lead for a new one. No joy.
I have swapped the hard drives for a new one. No joy.
I have even unplugged all cards and reinstated them one at a time. No joy.
I have unplugged all CD and DVD and Floppy drives and yet it still happens.

Am I right to suspect the motherboard?
Any ideas or help would would be greatly appreciated before I throw this thing out the window.
:)

Ceejay 01

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

This almost sounds like a heat problem or a failing PSU.

When was the last time you gave the system a good cleaning - CPU fan and heatsink, case fan(s), general inside all over and the PSU fan and vents?

Murray

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I agree with murray s. The first thing I would do is try to replace the power supply unit.

CeeJay01

CeeJay01

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi Murray S and The Skeptic.

Thanks for the prompt replies.

The inside of this machine is sparkling. When I had removed all the cards I gave it a good clean out. I've even had the processor, fan and heatsink out and renewed the heatsink paste etc.
according to the ASUS software I getting the following voltage & temperature readings although I can't be sure of the accuracy:

CPU - 46 deg. C
Motherboard 43 deg. C
V core = 1.20V
+3.3V = 3.26V
+5V = 4.87V
+12V = 11.25V

Are these voltages are OK?

As temperature doesn't appear to be the problem it looks like I'll be heading down the road for a power supply.

It currently has a 500W power supply fitted, (obviously not a very reliable one) would it be worth increasing this or shall I stick with the same size?

I really do appreciate your help guys so many thanks for the replies so far.

Ceejay01

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Temperatures look good. Regarding the power supply: Voltages look good but a psu should be tested under load. I do not say that the problem is with the psu. It is very possible that the problem is with the motherboard. It's just that before going into such conclusion it's easyier and cheaper to try to repalce the psu. That's how we work in this business, starting with the easy and cheap and continue with the more complex and expensive.

To me it looks that there is some sort of problem with the psu switching into operation. When you press the power button the psu is triggered into operation by current supplied from the motherboard. If something goes wrong with this switching system, either on the psu or the motherboard side, you can have this kind of problems.

Please open the box and disconnect the large connector that connects the psu to the motherboard. Reconnect it firmly. If still no good try to "borrow" a psu from another computer and try to run the computer with that replacement psu. If still no good then I am afraid that the motherboard is faulty.

A psu rated at 500W is perfect for most computers.

CeeJay01

CeeJay01

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thanks for that.

I'll be looking to borrow a PSU, unfortunately all the spare ones in my house are 300W or less.
I'll let you know what the outcome is once I get one.
Once again many thanks to everyone for all your help on this matter.

CeeJay01

CeeJay01

CeeJay01

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi to all

Update.
Just wanna say a huge huge thank you to The Skeptic and Murray S.
Your diagnosis was spot on.
I tossed a coin and opted for renewing the PSU first and bingo.
My PC now starts first time every time, so calm has been restored in the household.
I deliberately left this post for a week and a half to see if this fault is definitely sorted and it certainly seems to be.

Once again many thanks.

A very grateful
Ceejay01 :) :) :)

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Thanks for letting us know.