I have a problem with a PC that's about a year old and wonder if anyone can help me as it's doing my head in.
The problem is when the power button is pressed to turn on the PC different faults occur, they are:
1. Most times the fans start and run for about 5 seconds then it shuts down.
2. Sometimes completes POST and I get the single beep then it shuts down.
3. Sometimes gets to the Windows logo with the blue scrolling boxes on the screen then it shuts down.
4. Sometimes even gets to display the Users and then shuts down.
5. Most of the time it takes 10 to 12 goes and then it finally boots properly, now it's driving me mad.
PC is made up of
ASUS M2V motherboard
Athlon X64 4.2 Ghz Dual core processor
250 GB SATA Western Digital Hard Drive
512MB Nvidia Graphics Card.
Running Windows XP Home
A previous problem I have had was that during a clean install of Windows it would get to 11% of the installation and then an error message would appear. After 6 attempts to install and 2 different Windows discs, this problem was located to a faulty stick of RAM which was promptly removed and then Windows installed OK.
I have now tried swapping the SATA lead for a new one. No joy.
I have swapped the hard drives for a new one. No joy.
I have even unplugged all cards and reinstated them one at a time. No joy.
I have unplugged all CD and DVD and Floppy drives and yet it still happens.
Am I right to suspect the motherboard?
Any ideas or help would would be greatly appreciated before I throw this thing out the window.