Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DirectDraw Acceleration mysteriously becomes "not available"

• Please log in to reply

Eralynn

Eralynn

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I recently installed Diablo II on my Windows XP and I haven't been able to run it. It says "Error 22: A critical error occurred while initializing DirectDraw. So I checked my directdraw by going to run, typing dxdiag, going to display and i see that DirectDraw Acceleration, Direct3D Acceleration, and AGP Texture Acceleration are all disabled and I can't enable them because it says "unavailable". I've looked for downloads for them, but i think they're part of the DirectX package, which I have the newest version of (I downloaded v 10 while trying to correct this problem). So i really can't think of anything else to do. It allows me to test directdraw (and says that it works fine) but the test for direct3d is greyed out and unavailable as well. If anyone has any ideas, please share them.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Download and install the latest drivers for your graphics card.

Eralynn

Eralynn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
can i ask for details about how i'd do that?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Go to either ati.com or nvidia.com (or whoever) depending on what type of graphics card you have and grab them from there.