Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop keeps turning itself off

• Please log in to reply

sunny441

sunny441

• PipPipPip
  • 258 posts
Hi:

It's been a while, since I posted on here.

My friend has a HP Pavilion laptop , it is the DV5000 series. The laptop has been shutting itself off constantly - and sometimes even shuts off just after booting and logging into windows. When it shuts off - it just shuts off like the power has been disconnected and not a shutdown like when windows is shutdown.
She has the "extended warranty" from best buy - and she took it in more than once - and they could not fix it. They said that it could be a virus problem - and it is not covered by them. :)

Anyway she brought the laptop to me and I followed the spyware/virus/malware instruction on here and everything came back clean. I posted the HIjackthis log on here and from what I can see - everything seems to be good. Is this a software issue? Or is it something to do with hardware?

Any help would be much appreciated!!

Thanks and cheers!

Sunny

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi sunny441...

Sounds like it might be overheating. Download and install SpeedFan. Running this appplication should place the CPU temperature in the system tray...near the clock. Monitor this temperature and let me know what the highest temperature you see is.

We may be using this program to gather some other information about the machine should the temperature turn out ok.

wannabe1

sunny441

sunny441

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts
Wannabe1:

Thanks for the reply - I have no good news from here about this laptop.

I just powered it on - the first time since last night - and installed the program mentioned above. The readings are truly shocking for a computer that has just started.

The CPU diode = 102 C
Temp 2 thru temp 7 = 102c as well
and HD0 = 21 C and the temperature is steadily increasing.
And the last reading TEMP 1 = 21 C and there is an arrow that points downwards right next to it.

Also FAn1 and Fan2 are both at 0 RPM!! Even though it seems like the fan is running

Hope all of that info helps!

THanks

Sunny

EDIT: IT HAS BEEN ABOUT 20 minutes since i have the laptop on - the HD0 temp is up to 34C and temp1 is upto 60 c ---> I am running a spyware test to make see what happens when I use more system resources. But the 102C seems to be quite consistent.

Cheers!

Edited by sunny441, 09 January 2008 - 03:35 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I don't think that the sensors are being read correctly by SpeedFan. 102*C should have caused the machine to shutdown...it should have shut down somewhere around 60*C.

Let's see if we can verify those readings. Download, install, and run Everest on the machine. In the left pane, expand (click +) Computer, and click on "Sensor" (it may take a couple minutes to load the info). In the right pane, is any information displayed? If the sensors are detected, are the readings the same as those shown by SpeedFan?

sunny441

sunny441

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts
Wannabe1:

Installed and ran EVEREST. Both of them have the same HD0 temperatire - 22C when i start up that quickly climbs up to 40 in about 15 minutes.
The CPU temperature on everest is 45C which is consistent with TEMP1 reading on SpeedFan. The other temperatures on SpeedFan viz. Diode - Temp 7 are not found on everest.

Hope that helps.

Thanks

Sunny

Edited by sunny441, 10 January 2008 - 01:21 PM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
before going to best buy...
print out the malware report showing its clean...then show them the "extended warranty"...
wouldn't hurt to run some of the online scanners and save the text reports right on the desktop for them to see...

sunny441

sunny441

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts
too late!

She took the laptop to best buy - they took the laptop in for running the "diagnostics" and said that she could have it back in a week.

Most of the test results are saved on the desktop anyway - and the geek there said that it would seem like a hardware problem. But hopefully the laptop should be back here in a few day time and we shall know what is happening then!

Cheers :)