Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BOOT ISSUES

• Please log in to reply

fixerup

fixerup

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
hello i am experiencing boot issues with my computer running windows xp professional. i have and asus mobo m2m-32 sli deluxe. when i try to reboot my computer i get to the screen where is says press del to enter setup and it freezes. ive tried hitting delete to enter bios but it doesnt work. a virus was detected today and symantec said it needed to reboot to clean the file so i rebooted and thats when it started. any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello fixerup...

Sounds like a hardware problem. You might try clearing the CMOS and see if it will boot. Disconnect the machine from the power source (wall plug). Then you'll need to remove the CMOS battery. It's about the size of a quarter and is usually located just under the North Bridge chipset (has ASUS written on it). Just below the battery (labeled "clrtc" you should see 3 small pins with a jumper block on them. It should look like this, where the underscore represents the jumper . . . Move the jumper to the other pins . . . for about 30 seconds and then move it back to it's original position. Put the battery back in, making sure to put it in + side up. Try to boot your machine.

Note that this will clear the date, time, and restore all default settings to the BIOS. You will have to reset any settings you have changed such as Boot Priority. If you are not using a static strap, keep one hand or your arm touching the metal part of the case to prevent static discharge damage to the Motherboard and it's components.

This type of problem might be indicative of a bad power supply, as well.

Let me know how it goes...

wannabe1

fixerup

fixerup

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
thanks for the help what you suggested worked now it boots so i can reformat my drive thanks so much!!!!! :) :) :)

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
My pleasure... :)