Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Using Control key on the keyboard

• Please log in to reply

pachwothos

pachwothos

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I take a lot of photos. Many of them I want to delete. I have to delete them 1 at a time. Every time I try to hold the control key down while selecting the pictures to delete, they duplicate. And they duplicate a lot, sometimes 5 or 6 copies up to 14 copies.

Is this a setting somewhere? or is it a glitch? What can I do to correct it if anything?

I have an older computer, an IBM compatable, a celeron processor (I didn't know any better then) , 1.7 ghz, 512MB ram, 160 GB Hard Drive.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello pachwothos...

It's a glitch...or at least, it's not by design. I've seen it before on a few machines, but have yet to figure out how to fix it.

If the files are adjoining, you can use the shift key to accomplish much the same thing as pressing the Ctrl key. Select the first file you want to delete, press and hold the shift key, click the file again, then click the last file in the sequence you want to delete...release the Shift key. This should select all the files between the first and last file you selected.

Not a great workaround, but it's better than one at a time.

wannabe1

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
I've found that this type of thing is normally caused by a problem with the mouse or the way that you use the mouse. If something is highlighted and you Click and drag while holding the Ctrl button, its the same as copying the file. If you click and drag inside the same folder, it just moves the file, but when you hold down Ctrl, it copies the file.

In effect, your mouse is not steady when you click, so when you left off, its like you clicked and dragged. Therefore it copies.

Awful difficult to explain via text, but try following what I said and it might make sense to you.

tekkie

tekkie

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I'm using an IBM laptop too but I haven't experienced that glitch before. What I know about the ctrl key is the ctrl-alt-delete combo which enables the task manager. But, I will watch out if ever I would experience what you have experienced about your pictures. :)

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

I've found that this type of thing is normally caused by a problem with the mouse or the way that you use the mouse. If something is highlighted and you Click and drag while holding the Ctrl button, its the same as copying the file. If you click and drag inside the same folder, it just moves the file, but when you hold down Ctrl, it copies the file.

In effect, your mouse is not steady when you click, so when you left off, its like you clicked and dragged. Therefore it copies.

Awful difficult to explain via text, but try following what I said and it might make sense to you.

this is what i was thinking....the ctrl + drag is a rellatively universal copy function (works great in photoshop) but it's annoying elsewhere

a fun thing that some people don't know ctrl + Z works in windows explorer as an undo just like in any other program....so if your deal copies like it's doing...press ctrl + z to undo the copy

TheQuickBrownFox

TheQuickBrownFox

• PipPipPip
  • 714 posts

a fun thing that some people don't know ctrl + Z works in windows explorer as an undo just like in any other program....so if your deal copies like it's doing...press ctrl + z to undo the copy

I tried experimenting on it. If you Ctrl+Z, it will ask if you want to delete the copied files. If you press NO, Ctrl+Z won't work anymore. It is similar to an Undo function but only a simple one (nothing like the Undo in Notepad++ :)).

TomWij

TomWij

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
CTRL + Click : Select this item too.
SHIFT + Click : Select the range from closest selected item to this item.
ALT + Click : Show the properties of the item.

CTRL + Drag : Make a copy of the item.
SHIFT + Drag : Move the item.
ALT + Drag : Make a shortcut to the item.

Click: Holding the mouse pointer still above an item and press the left mouse button short.
Drag: Moving the mouse pointer while keeping the left mouse button pressed.

----

CTRL + A : Select all items.

CTRL + X : Cut an item to clipboard.
CTRL + C : Copy an item to clipboard.
CTRL + V : Paste an item from clipboard.

CTRL + Z : Undo last action.
CTRL + Y : Redo last undo.

Edited by TomWij, 02 July 2008 - 01:42 PM.