Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need to replace Foxconn C51GU01 - Help!

• Please log in to reply

charliebrownskin

charliebrownskin

• Pip
  • 1 posts
i to am doomed by this motherboard i have a gateway gt5028 that i bought aroud 2 years ago the screen seems to have lost its warmth just spent 300 hundred on a new monitor yesterday was lookoing into getting a new video card as we speek (or type) so to type anyhow glad i came across this or i would of been out more money well if anyone finds a replacement mo please let us know

Advertisements

JustFrank

JustFrank

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Other than this Foxconn, I can see no other boards available that would fit the Gateway BTX case and support the AMD cpu, and all the used C51GU01's for sale are broken. There are a few Intel BTX boards around at reasonable prices, if you're willing to replace the cpu as well.

I've already obtained an ATX-form MSI socket 939 board on eBay for $35, and plan to transplant everything to that board and then into my son's homebuilt ATX computer that's currently running a single core Athlon XP. It should be a nice upgrade for him.

I guess a "better late than never" post may be in order. Took mine a little longer that two years, actually, 1 month shy of being three years. Have read a couple of threads on this forum and can see I am not alone with this Gateway problem. The one good thing about this is that the problem helped me find this forum.

When Gateway was starting out and had not cost reduced their product to the present point, I was responsible for the purchase of over 1200 of their units by the company I worked with. So, even though I retired over 10 years ago, have stuck with them. Still believe they are a good company, but, stuff happens.

Now my question. Keep in mind I fell off the "bleeding edge" about 10 years ago, and even though am doing a lot of reading, am not doing a lot of understanding. Would like to replace the motherboard, cpu and memory in my present Gateway. Would be nice if the motherboard will support my present IDE drives and DVBs. Guess the bolt pattern This will be for my grandson since am building a bare bones unit for personal use.

Any suggestions appreciated.

cheers

Sabotage Over Easy

Sabotage Over Easy

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I'm going to publicly join the parade of people victimized by the Foxconn C51GU01 mobo debacle. My 2 year-old Gateway (Athlon 64 4200, 2GB ram--only add-on being a low-end ATI card) died last week with the same symptoms as described--wouldn't boot, just beeped, nothing came up on-screen. Switched to on-board graphics input from ATI card and was able to boot in safe mode, but things continued to deteriorate, blue screens, memory dumps, error messages, etc. Stripped it for scrap.

paramountcomputersltd

paramountcomputersltd

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I am a First time user , known as paramountcomputersltd, reporting a Gateway G51GU01 motherboard with an integrated video card that displays blue colour only on a lcd gateway monitor , which itself is working good. Shopped around for a PCI-express 16 video card like an ATI but was listed at $99.00 CDN. One of the PCI card slot showed no images with 2 different PCI video cards in the slot previously occupied by the fax/modem. Documentation for the jumper pin option for the motherboard on the Gateway website could not be located nor the Foxconn website, but there is a jumper pin near the pci slot in question. If you have the documentation with your motherboard that has the video problem, please left me know if the jumper pin setting can be changed and if the video card opinion is successfully working.

Mr Christoph

Mr Christoph

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi. I just registered with gtg to put my name on the list of people with this problem. My comp is a Gateway GT5058. I had an nVidia GeForce 8600 GT from XFX and i installed it at the same time as a power supply upgrade (I think it was a 550W but all i really remember was that it was more than what was recommended). It worked fine for over a year but about a week ago I couldn't get graphics from the GPU and had to switch back to onboard. I thought it was a driver/software problem and have been trying to fix. I reinstalled drivers, then windows, even online chatted with gateway support online, and was about to learn how to flash my BIOS :) , but it looks like it's a notoriously bad mobo. Thanks for posting everyone, and saving me the futulity of keeping on trying to fix this.

C51GU01 = garbage
screw you foxconn :)