Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Power Supply

• Please log in to reply

Seltox

Seltox

• PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
I've just bought an Antec Nine Hundred Advanced Gaming Case. The problem was that the PSU is mounted at the bottom of the case, and my current PSU doesn't have cords long enough to reach my motherboard where it needs to.

So i'm in the market for a new PSU. 650-750w I guess.

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Which cables are we talking about? You can buy extensions for the 4pin cable for your CPU and likely other connectors if need be, otherwise what is your budget?
Can you please post your system specs as well.
James

Edited by james_8970, 09 January 2008 - 11:17 AM.

Seltox

Seltox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
The 4-pin connector and the big 20-pin connector wouldn't reach. But I just turned my PSU upside down to give it that extra 4-5 cm's and it would reach then :).

Still need a new PSU, because the cables ARE very tight and it makes me unconfomfortable.

Anyway, specs

3.4GHz Pentium D
1gb DDR RAM
200gb Samsung HDD
Asus DVD-RW
nVidia GeForce FX 5200
Gigabyte GA-8VM800M-775 Motherboard
Some modem thingo that Is just in there coz...I dunno
FireWire & USB 2.0 PCI card

That's what i'm running currently, but I plan to upgrade pretty much everything there this year, so the PSU will need to cover THESE specs I guess

8800 GT Video card
2gb of DDR2 800MHz+ (Wanting 1066, but it's expensive *boggles*, preferably Corsair or OCZ)
New, much better motherboard, still can't find one that I like though.
Processor isn't an immediate upgrade I need, but I am planning to upgrade it as soon as I get enough money to a core 2 duo or quad, 2.66GHz or there abouts.

Edited by Seltox, 09 January 2008 - 07:17 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
I need a budget before I can suggest anything :)
James

Seltox

Seltox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
I guess AUD$100-150. Max around AUD$200-220. I don't really wanna spend too much on the PSU (But i'm not going to buy something cheap. I want a quality build). I have a mobo, RAM and video card to upgrade quite desperately too :)

mozzer11

mozzer11

• PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
Corsair HX520. I can't recommend this PSU enough, it's amazing.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
antec trio 650w

Has active pfc and 85% efficiency rating, will give you enough overhead to cover your planned upgrades

Heres a great one but its more expensive

thermaltake

and the least I would go with

antec trio 550w

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
The Cosair is a much better PSU in terms of quality and design, the HX620 might give you a greater upgrade route though.
James

Seltox

Seltox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
What do you's think of this?

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
This one is also modular but cheaper (its on special), its very quiet and also the one recommended by some users above.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
I would go with the Cosair that I mentioned and kamille just gave you a link too.
It's cheaper and a much better PSU.
James

Seltox

Seltox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
Okay, i've done some reading. That Corsair seems really really good for it's price. i was very very impressed with some tests I saw with it.

Corsair HX-620W it is! I'm going to order it in the morning. Sleep time now (5:15am).