Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Removed virus. now all computer apps are defective

• Please log in to reply

Chosen

Chosen

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
I just removed a trojen virus from my computer. to get strait to the point after running the scan and removing the virus with webroot and avg, absolutely no application will open (i am actualy using the windows explorer used to browse your files to get on the web) most of the objects in my accesories are deleted (ie. notepad...sad day no more coding for a while)

this is the dialogue box that comes up when i try to open an application. "the item 'example.exe' that this shortcut refers to has been changed or moved, so this shortcut will no longer work properly. do you want to delete this shortcut. yes no."

I also tried opening the file directly without a shortcut. the exact same error comes up. And also this is for every program.

any help on what is happening or what to do to start fixing it?

Advertisements

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Sounds like you may have had Virut or the new Vundo file infecter. You will need to re-install a lot of those applications I imagine. It's a nasty one.

Chosen

Chosen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
yuck. well that was my worst of fears. that stupid virus must have been programed to attack the run and exe files first...if only someone could write a program to run on select files, and act almost as a mini firewall or barrier(hypotheticaly speaking) and further protect the file, or even confuze the virus...hrm if only my programing skills backed up my ideas