Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

confused re netgear router/modem functioning

• Please log in to reply

jb1468

jb1468

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I am Baffled!!! as to how the following could happen. I am asking about the moving of my router/modem to my girlfriends address and connecting to her new ISP and Laptop

I connected her Toshiba laptop (wireless) with 2nd hand (mine) netgear router/modem (DG834PN) and her new plusnet ISP. I simply connected all devices and wihout doing anything! including entering any data to the router it connected to my web browsers.

Now her laptop was configured to connect wirelessly to the above router when it was connected to my ISP at my address. So when I took the same router/modem to her address (30 miles away) and connected it to her new laptop and new ISP (hers: 30 miles from mine) that was just set up it worked without any new configuration or entering of data including without her ISP username or password. This has confused me as to how this could happen so looking for some explanation. When I looked at the router configuartion the settings where identical to when it was connected to my PC and ISP, including it had my ISP username and password in the boxes, despite being plugged into her telephone line!!!!!!....this has baffled me

I did use the wizard in the modem to reset the username/password that came with her ISP (even tho it asked me why did I want to do this wen i had a connection) baffled!!!.......how could it connect with all my ISP details to her telephone line etc.......would love to know how please!

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if you're using a DSL connection (since you said phone line i assume you are) then you can TECHNICALLY connect to any phone line in that ISP's service area with no problems... DSL is not a "directed" service....your DSL modem will "call out" to the ISP (doesn't really dial out but it connects and sends the requests) over the phone line and establish the connection....phone lines aren't really directed like cable or ISDN PRI lines (like a T1)...there's just a giant area of lines connected back to the main distribution facility of the phone company.....so "technically" the phone company doesn't really know where the info is coming from (they do but for this instance they don't)...of course with a cable modem...i'd suspect you'd be able to do the same thing (i.e. move it to a new house and it would still work)....since they do most of their connection control via the serial number of the modem