Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

vista boot error after windows update

• Please log in to reply

219bill

219bill

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hello,

I have a Lenovo 3000 N100 laptop running Vista Home Premium that will not boot after an apparently failed automatic windows update a couple of days ago. The PC boots to a cursor and a blank screen regardless of which safe mode or start normally option is selected at startup. In the safe mode options, the last driver to load is crcdisk.exe before the cursor only black screen appears, if that means anything. The PC has the capability to launch Rescue & Recovery before bootup and I've run all the hardware diagnostics and they are all fine. It also allows me to run the Event Viewer, which has several fatal system errors, many of which are in the format: "Windows Servicing failed to complete the process of changing update 943411-112_RTM_neutral_PACKAGE from package KB934311 (Security Update) into Staging (Staging) state", which are at the time the PC died.

I've tried to use F8 at boot to get to the advanced boot menu and selected use the last known good configuration and I get the same cursor only screen. To top it off, the laptop did not come with a Vista disk, so I have no way to get to Vista or a command prompt.

Rescue and Restore will allow me to start from scratch, but I'd rather not lose my data, if possible.

Any ideas?

Advertisements

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello and welcome to Geeks To Go, I am hfcg and I will try to help you.
  • do you have the technical ability to remove the hard drive and put it in another computer as a secondary drive?
  • If not, take the machine to a repair shop and have them retrieve the data and put the hard drive back in the machine.
  • If so then copy your data to a removable media (DVD, CD, flash drive). After you put the hard drive in another machine.
  • Put the drive back in your laptop and run the recovery.
  • copy the data back on to your machine.
Please let me know how it is going.

Edited by hfcg, 10 January 2008 - 01:24 PM.

219bill

219bill

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thanks for the quick reply hfcg,

I'm in the process now of peeling off the data to external hard drive, Rescue and Recovery let's me do this w/o removing the drive. I called Lenovo support since its under warranty and they will not provide me with an install disk, which I think I could use to repair the OS in place w/o messing with data and applications. The good thing is I can recover all my data fairly easily, but I was hoping for a repair in place. Once the data is off, I can run restore, from Rescue and Recovery, to get me back to the factory image and then start loading apps again.

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello, after you do the recovery, please make a set of recovery disc. Your computer should give you this option. I am very glad that you can save your data, now for the back up speech. back up, back up, back up Vista will do back ups for you. All you have to do is insert a DVD, or CD (or external drive)

wc444

wc444

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Wow! This is the EXACT same thing that happened to my computer last night (including "crcdisk.exe" being the last loaded driver). Does anyone know the probable cause of the problem and/or how I might be able to avoid it in the future?

whooper

whooper

• Pip
  • 1 posts
This is the same exact problem I encountered. I am running Vista ultimate on a custom built PC.
Working fine on Feb 17th. wont work at all on Feb 18th.

So unless some MS autoupdate thing installed and corrupted the OS, I dont know.
I cannot get past the crcdisk.exe load in safe mode.

I dont know how to recover, but I am afraid it is going to be a complete reload.