Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ubuntu 7.04

• Please log in to reply

AndrewC3

AndrewC3

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
I recently received a second computer at no cost to me from a friend of mine. This computer has two hard drives in it. The main hard drive is a Maxtor 60GB and the secondary hard drive is a 20GB. I’m not going to get into what else this system has, as it all seems to be in working order. It had Windows XP Professional installed on it with some files saved to the secondary hard drive. I recently installed Ubuntu 7.04 on it formatting the main hard drive doing a clean installation. Haven’t done anything to the secondary hard drive as of yet. After spending a couple of nights familiarizing myself with Ubuntu, I decided to see if I could install Quicken on it. I wasn’t surprised when this program would not install on it. I would like to one-day use Ubuntu on my main computer that I use on a day-to-day basis and to also run programs such as Quicken, Norton’s Internet Security and other software. Are there any programs out there that are as good as Quicken and Norton’s Internet Security that I can install and use on Ubuntu? Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
There are a number accounting programs for Linux. I even found a Wiki page. I've read reviews on some of them (can't find the last one I read at Linux.com). GNUCash is available in most distro repositories and is fairly mature and can read Quicken files.

I'll keep my opinion of Norton to myself, but you don't need it in Linux. ClamAV is free and there are several Linux firewalls, I use Guard Dog.

There are alternatives to almost everything you do with Windows Programs. The Linux Alternative Project has a fairly comprehensive list.

AndrewC3

AndrewC3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Silverbeard, thanks for the information on the links. As a mattere of fact, shortly after I posted my message, my system kept locking up on me so I downloaded 7.10 and installed it. So far, I haven't had any problems. I'm so new to Ubuntu that I'm having flashbacks to when I was new to Windows. Thanks again.

Andrew