Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PROCESSOR UNDERPERFORMING

• Please log in to reply

barnie1528

barnie1528

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
My old computer, now in my kids room, is a Systemax which has an "AMD Athlon XP1700+ with quantispeed".
The real speed I realise should be around 1467 and not 1700. However when I checked my system properties it said the processor speed was only 1100.

I had already downloaded the programme "PC Wizard 2007" when looking to upgrade the computer RAM. This application does correctly identify the processor capabilities as being just under 1500, but confirms also that it is only running at 1100.

Can any of you guys let me know the probable cause and if there is a solution?

Regards

barnie

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi there

Can you tell me what make & model of motherboard you have please? You can use Aida32 (or similar) to find this information:

http://www.majorgeek...ownload181.html

When you run Aida, expand the 'motherboard' heading on the left, then click on the 'motherboard' sub-heading. In the right pane, you should hopefully see the info you need. If not, then try the Computer -> Summary section to see if a model number is listed for the Systemax computer.

barnie1528

barnie1528

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hi Samm,

Thanks for your help.

As my daughter is asleep in the room where this computer is based, I cannot run that programme at the minute.

However, the motherboard in the documentation of the order lists it as a :

"MSI MS-6373 nForce 5P AGP CNR 3DDR LAN VGA ATX"

Regards

barnie

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
That's great, that's exactly the info I needed!

MSI use 2 different types of model identifier for the motherboards. The MS6373 is also known as the K7N420 Pro (you may want to make a note of this for future reference as most of the time, this the model number you will need).

When you can next get access to the computer, try this:

On the board itself, there is a jumper located directly above the video card slot, called SW2. This sets the FSB of the cpu. (i.e 100MHz or 133MHz). Yours should be set to Auto Mode for 133MHz operation. This means the plastic jumper cap needs to be covering pins 1-2 (ie the bottom 2 pins):

SW2
-----o---pin 3
-----o---pin 2
-----o---pin 1

[VIDEO CARD SLOT]

You may want to check this. Please make sure the power is disconnected from the back of the computer first!

Next, you need to go into the bios (power the system on and as soon as the monitor's LED turns from amber to green, press the DEL key a few times with a one second gap between each key press). This should get you into the bios setup.

In the bios, go to the Frequency/Voltage Control section. In there you should see a setting called CPU/MEM/AGP Freq's. This needs to be set to 133/266/66 or 133/200/66 depending on what speed your memory is. You can use Aida to check this if you don't already know.

Let me know how you get on

barnie1528

barnie1528

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hi Samm,

Many thanks for your kind reply.

Checked the SW2 this afternoon and the jumper was as it should have been.

I had been looking at the BIOS settings the day I sent the post, but the settings meant nothing to me.

With the benefit of your message I discovered that the BIOS setting was indeed wrong, and have now reset it to 133/266/66.

The computer is working as it should now :).

Could I just say "A VERY VERY BIG THANK YOU" for solving this problem. You have provided both your knowledge and time absolutely free and it is very much appreciated.

Regards

Barnie

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
You're very welcome and thanks for letting us know you now have it working :)