Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

xp pro cd not booting ?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

dairyglen

dairyglen

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Have problem with not being able to install xp pro on a dell d600 laptop, press f12 to access what to boot up from and highlight cdrom.

Screen appears stating press any key to boot then nothing happens just a cursor flashing top left hand corner ??

Can the laptop be formatted to install a fresh copy of xp, if so how ???

Cheers

Edited by dairyglen, 10 January 2008 - 05:25 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
This isn't clear from your post but you have pressed a key when it asks you to press a key? Otherwise it'll just try and boot off the hard drive again.

dairyglen

dairyglen

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Yes i pressed a key when asked and all i got was a blank screen with a cursor flashing top left hand corner and it just stays like that ?

dairyglen

dairyglen

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Just gone into the bios and found that the section where you can change what to use to start up i.e hardrive,cd,floppydisk is password protected so cannot change !!!!

Anyway to overcome/getaround this ?? as said already used the f12 key and booted from cd but nothing happens, think its because of the password in the bios ?????

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Shouldn't make any difference.
How old is this laptop? These symptoms are could be a sign of faulty hardware somewhere along the line.

dairyglen

dairyglen

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Its a dell d600, it will start up but goes into safeboot 3.3 and asks for an activcard to be inserted into the pcmcia card slot at the side which i dont have !!

anyway around the card reader ???

Edited by dairyglen, 12 January 2008 - 11:06 AM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I'm afraid we have gone about as far as we can in helping you with this issue. This machine has some pretty stringent security set on it and, without being able to verify ownership, our Terms of Use prevent us from helping you get around the restrictions that have been placed upon it.

If you think I'm in error in closing this topic, please feel free to PM a moderator or admin and we'll be happy to discuss it with you.