Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Randomly Shuts Off -HELP ME PLEASE

• Please log in to reply

Nick_D

Nick_D

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

well, the problem is I no longer have the disk which I originally used to install windows...

Does the computer I slave my hard drive on have to have the same chipset? the only computer currently available to me has a via chipset as well

should I just get a new windows xp and try to repair install? I'm really not looking forward to spending more money

windows xp pro, according to this website I'm looking at, is $147.00.....

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
You can slave the drive in any computer if its a ide drive, if its a sata drive the the computer has to have sata ports

If its ide then make sure you set the jumper to slave when installing into another computer if its sata don't worry about it

The way I see it you are at a stand still to you either find your XP disk or purchase a new one

Edited by Doby, 23 January 2008 - 07:38 PM.

bigght

bigght

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Nick, I did get that 865pe Foxconn board and it just booted my system up fine. My Windows XP O.S. loaded to my desktop and " found new hardware", etc. and so far , so good.

Incase You are still at a standstill, You can always get a USB harddrive enclosure for your original harddrive with all your data on it, and/or get another harddrive, install a fresh copy of Windows XP, and then access your data off of your original harddrive.

Nick_D

Nick_D

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

if i slave my hd to another computer, does it matter if that computer has a different OS? or does my hard drive being the slave totally override that

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
If your drive is formatted using the ntsf file system(most XP installs are) windows me or lower will not read it, windows 2000 will

Nick_D

Nick_D

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
ok cool. i just dontt want to mess up anyone else's computer by putting my hard drive in

i have a windows xp home edition cd, im thinking of transfering al of my important files onto another computer and just installing windows xp home edition rather than waiting for windows xp pro.

Nick_D

Nick_D

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
well...my computer still does not work even after a new power supply, new video card, new processr, and new motherboard. the monitor still fails to register anything when my computer is turned on, and i know that the monitor and video card are good. I also know the motherboard is fine because it will beep if my video card or ram aren't plugged in. I also know the ram is fine because i tried a pair the i knew was good instead of my current set and it didn't fix it.....the power supply also seems to be fine, it is a new thermaltake 500w that is less than a week old....i also inspected the processor and it looks fine.

it is the same problem: nothing on the monitor, and the computer shuts off randomly. Something I've noticed however is that its not as random as it was before; now it turns off about 30 seconds after booting (unfortunately I cant see whats happening when it turns off because of the monitor not displaying anything). Also, the more I turn it on, the less and less time it takes for it to shut off, and the opposite is also true, the longer I let it sit in between turning it on the longer it takes to turn off.

right now I am so aggravated. i have no clue what could be wrong with it...i've tried replacing every single core part of the computer to no avail...perhaps the processor i bought from newegg was disfunctional? how could I test that? and if it were disfunctional, wouldn't my computer not boot up the way it does? or maybe my computer really isnt booting up since the processor is broken and thats why it displays nothing on the monitor? but then why does it turn off randomly like it does?

i have no clue.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Is the motherboard now on a bench with minimal components installed? If not it should be, refer to post #6

The idea is just to get it to post and show video.

All a computer needs to post is Cpu with fan heatsink,psu,1 stick ram, video card and of course the motherboard. If on a bench with these parts installed and it won't show video one of them has to be bad

Make sure the 12V 4 pin connector is connected and all motherboard jumpers are set correct, check your manual

Edited by Doby, 30 January 2008 - 09:01 PM.

Nick_D

Nick_D

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
here's an update:
I can get a POST now, however still nothing on the monitor.
-I know the power supply is good
-I know RAM is good since i've tried replacing the ram with my brother's which didnt fix the problem (it works fine in his pc)
-I know the motherboard must good if its sending POST messages and will alert me if im missing RAM / Graphics card / etc.
-I know my video card is good because today I went out today and bought an 8500GT which didnt fix the problem (POST, but not signal on monitor still)
-I know the monitor is good because I've trid swapping it

Therefore, my conclusion is that the processor that newegg sent me has to be defective, so my plan is to go to best buy sometime this weekend and buy a new one to see if it works (gotta love buying from best buy and returning if it doesnt work over and over again =D)

And yes doby, all jumpers are fine, and I only have those parts on the mobo

Here's my question though:

Could it really be my processor that's defective? Would the pc even begin to boot or POST if it is? I don't see how a defective processor can cause my video problems, but it's the only thing I can think of right now. And if the answer is that the processor isn't the problem, any suggestions on what is?

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Nick,

Let me clear something up, you pc is not passing post because it shows no video, its turning on the motherboards fan and lights. Its sending post messages, I assume beeps, when the ram is removed usually does indicate the motherboard is not at fault.

Yes the cpu can cause your computer to not send a video signal, the cpu is the brain without it the computer will do nothing but turn on fans.

In all the systems I have built I have never recievied a doa cpu, thats not to say it can't happen it just the last thing I suspect, also I do alot of troubleshooting of computers and the cpu if kept cool almost never fails, ram video,motherboards psu's are the main culprit, this is why I always suggest tearing the system down to try and isolate the problem. In your case with everthing you have tried it seems you have narrowed it down to the cpu, you should return it.

Great job and please keep me updated

Advertisements

Nick_D

Nick_D

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
i thought that one beep meant that it passed POST and everything was normal? im confused because the motherboard is saying that im passing post but there's no signal on the monitor

it also seems strange to me that the processor they sent me could be defective since i have never before received any computer parts that have been DOA, but it's the only thing I can think of right now.

i'm going to get out to a computer store as soon as I can and get a new processor, I'll let you know how it goes. If its not the processor, however, what in the world could it be....

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts

i thought that one beep meant that it passed POST and everything was normal? im confused because the motherboard is saying that im passing post but there's no signal on the monitor

Yes 1 beep means the computer is passing post, so the computer is giving 1 beep but not showing video?

Are yoga and dviu using any kind of vga to dvi adapter? Crt or lcd monitor? try both the vga and dvi port on the video card

Nick_D

Nick_D

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Yes 1 beep means the computer is passing post, so the computer is giving 1 beep but not showing video?

Yep. Wierd huh?

And what's yoga and dviu? could you calrify that questions a bit for me? =)

Ive tried using both a crt monitor and and lcd monitor with three graphics card. One card was my old one, one was a friends, and the last one was a new card from Staples. I've been using the same port on all three graphics cards and both the monitors.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Sorry, just typos must have been in a heck of a hurry, I meant to say "are you using any type of dvi to vga adapter" but you answerd that becuase you tried a CRT and different cards.

I'm stumped, I am going to review the hole thread and see what I missed

frankthetank

frankthetank

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
Hey Nick if I were you I would try to this.

1.Clear the CMOS.

2.Set your voltages for ram to 2.0 volts that might be the problem

3.Save to CMOS

4.Reboot

(If your computer is like and HP,Gateway,Apple, etc. you'll most likely not be able to set that ram voltage higher unless you switched motherboards)

Edited by frankthetank, 05 February 2008 - 06:28 PM.