Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Trojan-spy.html smitfraud.c ----need help!

• Please log in to reply

dash14251

dash14251

• Pip
  • 7 posts
ok i cant start up my computer in normal mode, only safe mode. this means no internet and no downloading lots of different spyware-deleting programs. i currently have adaware-se but it hasnt helped at all. the only way to get something onto my computer from another would be to transfer it with a floppy and all those programs are too big for that. in safe mode my puter will not recognize my usb drive or the cd rom drive. if you know what i can do, id appreciate it, thanks!
dash

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
HijackThis will fit on your floppy and can run from the floppy and store its log on the floppy so you can post from another PC.

http://www.tomcoyote.org/hjt/

If you are running winME,98 or 95 then just get a boot disk from http://bootdisk.com and boot from the floppy. That should give you CD Rom so you can copy the files from a CD.

Ron

dash14251

dash14251

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
so what do i do with a boot disk? how do i get it? do i download files to a floppy or wait for someone to send the physical disk to me? thanks

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
You need a friend's computer and a floppy. You use his computer to go to the site and pick out a bootdisk that fits your version of windows and then download the file. Open the file and it will create a boot disk on the floppy in the A: drive.

Put the floppy in your PC and boot off it. It will come up in DOS not Windows so you need to know some basic DOS commands to operate. The CD will probably be drive D: or E: depending on how your drive is partitioned.

While you are doing that get HijackThis on a different floppy and post its log in the HijackThis part of this forum. That will be faster and easier.

Ron

dash14251

dash14251

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
ok thanks a lot
dash

dash14251

dash14251

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
ok, this may be a different problem, but sometimes once windows starts it says explorer has caused an error in kernel32.dll. it wont let me switch it with a new kernel32.dll while windows is running so would it be wise to switch it in msdos mode? i have it saved on a floppy.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Dash, please note:

hijackthis logs go in the MALWARE forum (see link in my signature)