Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless N Router

• Please log in to reply

JtheComputerguy

JtheComputerguy

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hey Guys,

I'm in the market for a Wireless N Router. I currently have a Lynksys wireless G no issues i just need more coverage. The router will be on the second floor and the laptop will be on the first. The laptop is a panisonic Toughbook 52 and has a integrated 802.11a/b/g network adapter. What router would you recommend? Does it pay to upgrade? And is the wireless card compatible with a wireless N network. Thanks.

-J

Advertisements

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello and welcome to Geeks To Go.
To answer your last question first, you will need a wireless N adapter to gain any benefit from a wireless N router.
That is not to say that a g, or b adapter will not work, you just will not gain any thing.
There are several good company's that make routers, I like linksys but some people swear by D-link. Basically it is your preference.

JtheComputerguy

JtheComputerguy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Hello and welcome to Geeks To Go.
To answer your last question first, you will need a wireless N adapter to gain any benefit from a wireless N router.
That is not to say that a g, or b adapter will not work, you just will not gain any thing.
There are several good company's that make routers, I like linksys but some people swear by D-link. Basically it is your preference.

Hey thanks for the quick response!!! I have read that a wireless N router's signal will transmit further than a wireless g router. I under stand the speed difference im looking to figure out if the distance will be greater with an n router. I am using a g card.

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hi, Now that is a very good question!
Some people that I have talked to say no. The wireless N router transmits farther, however the wireless G adapter does not.
Basically what I am saying is the computer will not be able to send to the router any farther no matter what router that you have.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
I'm actually in the process of reviewing some wireless N routers for a roundup I plan to write. While the improved antennas of wireless N may allow more range, the major advantage is higher speeds at the same distance. So although they won't allow you to get much farther from the router, your speeds at the same distance will be much greater. They're also far less affected by walls, floors and other obstacles. My laptop will work half a block away with a wireless N connection, and speeds in the house are much greater. I'd say it's worth the upgrade. Especially, if you have Vista, VoIP, Skype, play online games, etc. The ease in setup and quality of service improvements are worth the upgrade alone.

I've never been a big fan of Trendnet, in fact I always thought of them as cheap (not inexpensive). However, I'm currently running their TEW-633GR, and I gotta say I'm impressed. Currently $99 at NewEgg.

P.S. If your notebook has a/b/g wireless chances are it already supports, or will support N. Check the mfgs site for updated wireless drivers.

Dr.Hex

Dr.Hex

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I don't mean to interrupt, but what about NETGEAR’s RangeMaxTM. I just seen a performance study, and it seems to out perform Linksys and D-Link. I just bought a Dell 1520 laptop with Dell wireless-N Mini card. I was wondering which Router would bes best for range.
Any opinions on which one I should go with?
Thanks

Here is the link to the study
Performance Study