Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

xp freezes right before "Loading Personal Settings"

• Please log in to reply

limetwist

limetwist

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I have this exact problem:
LINK

However the solution didn't work because I messed with the registry :-( I couldn't install Windows installer 3.1, so I couldn't update my repaired version of windows (which was working AWESOME, btw!) I set restore points and stuff "just in case" after messing with the registry per this thread:

LINK

I went into HKEY and messed with Permissions... a few websites had that fix... although it wasn't working for me to download the installer. I'm assuming that this is the root of my not being able to load personal settings. My assumption could be wrong, obviously.

With my great luck at reinstalling the OS without wiping out any data, I chose to do that again last night, probably wiping out any restore points that were there, and when it finished and booted I ended up with the same 2 tone blue screen with the xp logo in the middle and the mouse working. It's right before "loading personal settings" would normally come on.

Please help. I feel like such an idiot. If I load the repair console is there a way to go back and change those permissions? Or any other ideas?

Thank you much.

Gina

Edited by limetwist, 11 January 2008 - 05:56 PM.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Gina, can you boot to Safe Mode (press F5 or F8 during early boot)? If yes then login as Administrator (no password). If that works you can create a new account (pick a name you can live with as you may end up keeping it).

Do a normal boot and login with the new account. If that works, copy data from the old, corrupted account to the new one, make sure everything is there then delete the old account and it's associated files.

See here for instructions: http://support.micro...om/?kbid=811151

limetwist

limetwist

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Unfortunately no. I've tried all the F8 startup options and always end up back at this same screen. In safe mode it goes as far as showing the little "safe mode" header and footer on the screen before it turns blue and puts the logo on it.

I did find out one other thing. If I hit ALT+TAB from that screen, a small box comes up that says "Log On to Windows" on one side and "Windows Logon" on the other. I can move the box back and forth between those options, but neither of them does anything.

I tried the ALT+TAB thing after finding this LINK

I also read through this Link and it confirms that "Your user account settings are corrupted" .... but the solutions listed didn't seem to apply. I don't get any kind of "Log in" screen, even if I do CTRL+ALT+DEL twice when it's booting.

The only time I've been asked for a login is booting to Recovery Console on the XP cd, and i was only offered the admin login there. It worked. But that's the closest I found to a login. I'm just sick about this. Everything was working so well, best it had run in months and I go screw it up thinking "I have a restore point set"... :)

I know the pc repair places will likely want to do a data recovery and a fresh install... I know that the drive works and all my stuff is in there. I'm just afraid to go poking around in dos ... I think I've done enough. ugh. :)

Gina

Edited by limetwist, 11 January 2008 - 11:54 PM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Sounds like you are a prime candidate for the following link: How to recover from a corrupted registry

I've used it so I know it works. Looks daunting when you first see it, but print it out and read through it then just do it step by step and in a short time you are up and running again.

Anyway, read through it then post back if you have any questions.

What it basically does is copy the registry from the Repair directory which was put there when the system was first installed.

Then you boot to Safe Mode, login as Administrator and copy the registry from a System Restore point (not the last, maybe go back a few - this should work even if System Restore does not work),

Reboot and voilla', you should be able to login normally and have your system back. Do not attempt a System Restore unless things are not working right.

Pay close attention to what you are typing when following the directions.

limetwist

limetwist

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thank you. It looks do-able. I'm worried because my operating system is an OEM version

Do not use the procedure that is described in this article if your computer has an OEM-installed operating system. The system hive on OEM installations creates passwords and user accounts that did not exist previously. If you use the procedure that is described in this article, you may not be able to log back into the recovery console to restore the original registry hives.

:)

I didn't actually get any of the specific errors they mentioned. I wish I was a bit more confident, but I was the other day and it just got me into a mess! :)

Milw PC said they understood what I meant and what I did and could take care of it for about $40, but I might have to wait till thursday or friday! eeks. For an extra $36 he said I could get it bumped up to Tuesday afternoon. It's still way cheaper than Geek Squad, who is gonna only recover my data and wipe the drive for a minimum of $150. I'm thinking maybe I should just keep my grubby hands off the computer, I feel so sick about this, that I did it myself.

limetwist

limetwist

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
:) :) well. after 10 days they finally looked at it today, and the "snapshot" directory was not there for the one restore point. And they pretty much just gave up. I don't know how to search the drive for "snapshot" directories.

From Uniblue I have Complete and Partial registry backups... but of course I can't run Registry Booster to restore them either. I have no idea what has happened. It seems pretty awful to put a messed up name in a user profile and then lose my entire operating system functions. That'll learn me I suppose... At least it was only $40 for them to do nothing for 10 days...

Does anyone know of a utility one might use to boot with besides the RC to rebuild, replace, or edit the registry? Is there an "undelete" function available that might find another restore point or the missing snapshot directory? I am pretty sure that my restore points got trashed when I reinstalled windows a second time, thinking it would solve all my problems.

This really sux. Any helpful input will sure be appreciated.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
At this point if it were me I would slave the drive in another computer, get my data saved and format and reinstall.

You could alsoafter saving your data try a repair install of XP, this would leave your user data intact and repair the operating system, I am unclear if your oem windows disk will do a repair install, if its a true oem windows disk it will but if it is a restore cd that comes with brand computers it may not, although some restore disks have a non-destructive feature that will let you reinstall the operating system and leave user data intact.

limetwist

limetwist

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
they told me it's not technically an OEM install anymore, since I've reinstalled it with a normal xp disc, so yes, I have done a repair install... which merely managed to wipe/corrupt all remaining restore points :) and then just when I thought, ahhhh..... same error at boot! But yeah, I was thinking of ordering another HDD, slaving this one and at least ghosting or whatever it's called now... before I try to dick with the registry anymore. I was just doing a search on various boot discs available to fix everything on earth. :) I just want to go in and check those user accounts... or at least boot to Windows and take a look around. I can't believe that I did this myself... :) :)

I think I better get some sleep right now before I do anything else. I can't believe the run-around I got at the computer place, I was a wee bit livid.... :)

Edited by limetwist, 22 January 2008 - 10:07 PM.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Whats the brand and model of the computer?

If you have lots of data like gigabyts then yes I would order a new drive, we can direct you with that, then using your XP disk install a fresh copy of XP on the new drive. After XP is up and running with all drivers and MS updates installed you slave the old drive. This way you have a clean install on a new drive and your old one for backup and your data intact.

The downfall of this is all your programs will have to be reinstalled, yes its alot of work but for $50.00 bucks you have two drives, all your data and a nice fresh clean install