Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows xp upgrade

• Please log in to reply

BInarY

BInarY

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Ok so i built my computer, everything seems to be going good. I have my mom buy my os. So after i realize i cant install windows xp cause its the upgrade and not the full version what do i do now. does the upgrade version let me do a clean install of windows xp? can i install windows ME using my friends cd key and then upgrade over it with windows xp? or does the upgrade version just literally upgrade it, and not let me do a full installation of the os. any info will help since its the first time im installing an os on my own. Also step by step instructions will greatly help me. In case you need any info on my computer heres what im hauling...

pentium 4 ht 630 3.0 ghz 2mb l2 cache 800 mhz f/s bus
intel pentium mobo d925xecv2
200 gb maxtor hdd sata
2 x 512 mb kingston value ram ddr2 pc 4200 in dual channel mode
asus xtreme ax 700 pro 256 mb (ati)

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You won't clean install with an upgrade disc, not many are impressed with the upgrade version.

It sounds as though you might qualify for the educational version of XP which is reasonably inexpensive

Edited by Keith, 20 April 2005 - 05:51 PM.