Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WINDOWS Folder

• Please log in to reply

computerdude1985

computerdude1985

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
I was wondering if I could delete this folder, or components in the folder? It's located in Drive C, and is currently taking up over 6 GB's of Drive Space. I have no idea where this folder came from. It's probably always been on my computer, but I've never noticed it. If anyone could help me out I would greatly appreciate it. I posted a picture to help you figure out what I can possibly delete, or so you can just see what kind of files the folder contains.

Posted Image

Advertisements

PsychPosse

PsychPosse

• PipPipPip
  • 322 posts
You are joking right?

Clark76

Clark76

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 34 posts
computerdude1985

You really should not mess around with the Windows folder or the contents of it unless you are sure of what you are doing. Some very important files and folder are located here. The Windows folder is going to be large, basically that is where your operating system is located. Mine is about 3gb but I also do not have a lot on this computer. Maybe some others will see some large files you can remove safely but nothing jumps out at me that I can say delete to.

Just my two cents worth.

Edited by Clark76, 12 January 2008 - 12:00 AM.

computerdude1985

computerdude1985

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Okay, I won't mess with that folder, thanks for your advice I appreciate it!

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
When I first read the post, I thought you were kidding. Still do. :) But you could run Disk Cleaner to clean out some of the temp folder stuff and select the tab which will allow you to remove some of the older Restore Points which may be present. Then run Defraq utility. Might help you some on HD size.

Ron

Edited by Major Payne, 12 January 2008 - 12:37 AM.

computerdude1985

computerdude1985

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

When I first read the post, I thought you were kidding. Still do. :)

Ron

No, I honestly wasn't. I was just running maintenance on my computer, and getting rid of all the clutter, and I came across that folder. :)

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
OK. I believe you. It's usually better to have the Option set to hide all system folder/files to prevent any mishaps. Glad you asked first as it would have been a terrible mistake to delete a complete system folder. Especially the Windows one.

Ron