Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No sound.

• Please log in to reply

Maklos

Maklos

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello,

Firstly I apologize if I posted this under the wrong section, I just guessed my problem may lie here.

My older brother recently dropped off my new computer that he built for me. It's Windows Vista and so far, everything works perfectly. The only thing that doesn't work - is that there is no sound coming from my speakers and I have no idea how to solve this.

I've tried plugging in Headphones (that I know work, tested it on my other computer) and I've been unable to hear anything. So I know the speakers aren't the problem.

The speakers I'm using for this computer are Altec Lansing AVS300, and I'm not sure of the type of Headphones I'm using. Just cheap ones I picked up from Electronic Boutique I guess.

Any idea on what the problem maybe? Something he forgot to setup when he built the computer? He's a busy person and I'm not expecting anything from him in the next fortnight or two so I was really hoping somebody could help me out. :)

If it's any help to finding a solution, I've attached a picture of the "Sound" section of "Control Panel" - and what it shows when I'm playing music (I can't hear anything despite the green bar being present).

Posted Image

A big thank you in advance to any responses.

Advertisements

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello, and welcome to Geeks To Go.
Lets look at the simple things first. This could be that the volume is set all the way down, or that the sound is muted.
Please check your sound controls for this first.
If this is not the problem than the next step is to look at the drivers.
  • click on the start button.
  • select control panel
  • open device manager
  • look for any yellow question marks or exclamation points
If there are any yellow question marks or exclamation points.
  • right click the marked device
  • select properties
  • copy and paste the error code in a reply.
Thank you.

Maklos

Maklos

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
The only part with a yellow exclamation mark is under Powerware.

Posted Image

The "Device Status" for Powerware is as follows:
The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)

There is no driver selected for the device information set or element.

To reinstall the drivers for this device, click Reinstall Driver.

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
OK the battery back up driver is not an issue unless you wish to monitor the ups.
Please tell me that you are pluging the speaker in to the middle, green jack?
double check that your sound control is not set to mute, and the volume is turned up please.

Maklos

Maklos

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

OK the battery back up driver is not an issue unless you wish to monitor the ups.
Please tell me that you are pluging the speaker in to the middle, green jack?
double check that your sound control is not set to mute, and the volume is turned up please.

Yeah it's plugged correctly and my sound isn't muted. Could it be possible that I haven't installed the drivers for my speakers or sound card yet? I'm not really sure what kind of sound card I have if that's the case.

Edited by Maklos, 12 January 2008 - 09:53 PM.

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Device manager does not indicate that there is a problem with the drivers for you card.
Your speakers will not need to be installed.
might try going back to device manager,
right click the audio device,
select uninstall,
reboot the computer.
Windows should see the new hardware and install it.

Maklos

Maklos

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Tried uninstalling the device and restarting the computer, it detected it and reinstalled it but I haven't had any luck hearing sound yet.