Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer spontaneously shutting down (instantly, hard power off)

• Please log in to reply

Noprotein

Noprotein

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello all, I'm glad and sad to be returning to the geeks to go forums after some time of little computer problems. However, something has struck which i cannot understand. My system is as follows:

AMD Athlon 64 4800+
MSI K89 Diamond Motherboard
250gb 7200 Western Digital HDs x3
500gb 7200 Western Digital HDs x2
ATI Radeon x1950 Pro
Windows XP Pro
Onboard Audigy sound

Anyway, I have many many things installed and downloaded which could cause problems but run many virus/adware checks and don't visit stupid websites. My computer has been running fairly hot but rock solid for a year now after being built but the last few weeks I've been noticing CPU slowdown. Drastically. It also began shutting off unprompted and randomly. I cleaned up my hds, defragged more often, and even blew out my case/reapplied thermal paste to my proc. The system is running faster and cooler now but it is still powering off frequently. During a defrag, watching a movie, installing a program. Sometimes this happens after 2 minutes, some after 2 hours but it won't stop and i'm not sure why. I hope that by running all of the advised programs, checking for malware, and running a HJT someone may be able to tell me what is going on.

So far: I've run AVG antivirus and AD-Aware with no problems, memtest86 with no problems after 15 hours and 11 passes or so, checked running processes & any unknown programs. Because it is just shutting off with no warning or message or during a specific program, I'm wondering if it's hardware related but again, I'm hoping I can get a hand here. Thanks in advance and I'll post again after running more tests.

Edited by Noprotein, 12 January 2008 - 10:06 AM.

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
lets start by looking at temperatures.
Install HDTune and Everest (from my signature), and see how they compare in the temp area.

Noprotein

Noprotein

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Ok, lots of options in these programs, any quick way for temperature gauging in everest? I ran a full report and here are some temps from that:

Temperatures:
Maxtor 6E020L0 35 °C (95 °F)
WDC WD2500KS-00MJB0 46 °C (115 °F)
WDC WD2500KS-00MJB0 40 °C (104 °F)
WDC WD2500KS-00MJB0 39 °C (102 °F)
WDC WD5000AAKS-00YGA0 33 °C (91 °F)
WDC WD5000AAKS-00YGA0 33 °C (91 °F)

HD Tune:
Maxtor = 34/35
WD 46
WD 37
WD 38
WD 32
WD 32.

So it appears those temps are similar and within range. Seemingly cool even. Do either of those also read other temps? GPU/MB/CPU? I'm only running navigator browser and super antispyware

P.S. Thanks for the fast response, most appreciated.

Edited by Noprotein, 12 January 2008 - 11:29 AM.

Chosen

Chosen

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
even if your temps are normal, if your fan is defective the computer will powerdown anyways. so i would consider taking a quick looksee' at your fan

Noprotein

Noprotein

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
When I reapplied the Arctic, I took a look at the system before putting the side back on. All fans are in working order and have been blown clean. Update: I've made sure to close any non-essential programs and the computer seems to be running more effectively. There must be some complication with one of the temperature or clock utility programs that may be doing it. One of my defrag programs won't finish correctly anymore though... confusing. I was using JKDefrag because it was simple and didn't take much resources. I'm wondering if you lot can recommend a better program that may do a more thorough job than windows or perhaps have had that same problem.

Edited by Noprotein, 13 January 2008 - 12:43 PM.