Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

keyboard error between bios and windows boot

• Please log in to reply

RD'Lapsley

RD'Lapsley

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Ok, so the issue I'm having has to deal with my keyboard. It's a microsoft usb keyboard. where I can't use it is either just before or right at the execution of the boot sequence by the BIOS. As soon as my computer starts going through the boot sequence I am unable to get to safe mode, if it boots to a cd or floppy, even with usb lagacy drivers installed, I am unable to use the keyboard. When I finally get back into windows, the keyboard starts to work again. Normally this wouldnt be a big issue, but I was trying to dissect a few mods for xp that I installed and affected a change to to xp that causes it to behave in a way that is not beneficial in any way, shape, or form. Because of that (or rather due to my own ineptitudes) I decided to just reinstall xp (since thats easier for me then going through a really long trouble shooting process). Any ideas on why my keyboard doesnt work?

EDIT: Should have been in periphials right? Didn't see it before. ( >.>);;

Edited by RD'Lapsley, 12 January 2008 - 04:40 PM.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
You don't say how old your computer is but normally, this means Legacy USB support is turned off in BIOS. You will need to connect a PS2 keyboard to you computer, boot to BIOS Setup and enable Legacy USB support, then it may (should?) work.

If not then you will have to switch to a PS2 keyboard.

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Ztrucker is right. My BIOS doesn't even have an entry to enable USB keyboard support, and in any case my kb is a wireless one so no chance of that working till Windows has loaded. Luckily I kept my old wired PS2 keyboard so I just shut down and connect that when the need arises. A bit inconvenient perhaps but since my wireless kb is way better than the old one I don't let it bother me. If you have a PS2 kb, don't part with it 'cos one day they'll be unobtainable.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
do you have SP 2 installed...if so you should be able to use the usb keyboard...if not the PS/2 style keyboards are only about $10.00...