Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

need help how to make room in my hard drive please.

• Please log in to reply

logan lalovaea

logan lalovaea

• Pip
  • 1 posts
im having trouble with my computer.the window keep coming up every time i download something,not enough space in the hard disk or something.

Advertisements

Kelvin

Kelvin

• PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
If so - that means your computer doesn't have enough space to store the whole download.

Try freeding up some space on your computer - uninstall programs you don't need, go through Program Files to see whether there's any folder with files in it from an uninstalled program and delete it, etc. Empty your Recycle Bin, do a Disk Cleanup... there are lots of ways to free space.

~Kelvin

Germando

Germando

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
You could always add a hard drive and then mount it as a continuation to the c drive. This would effectively add a hard drive but you would not have to deal with remember what is on which drive as everything would be listed on the c drive

Thanks

G

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts

You could always add a hard drive and then mount it as a continuation to the c drive.

How is it done?

Germando

Germando

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
1. Click Start, click Run, and then type compmgmt.msc in the Open box.
2. In the left pane, click Disk Management.
3. Right-click the partition or volume that you want to mount, and then click Change Drive Letter and Paths.
4. Click Add.
5. Click Mount in the following empty NTFS folder (if it is not already selected), and then use one of the following steps:
Type the path to an empty folder on an NTFS volume, and then click OK.
Click Browse, locate the empty NTFS folder, click OK, and then click OK.
If you have not yet created an empty folder, click Browse, click New Folder to create an empty folder on an NTFS volume, type a name for the new folder, click OK, and then click OK.
Quit the Disk Management snap-in.

G

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Interesting concept. No trying to remember which HD data is stored on. This could come in handy for a couple of friends I know.

Germando

Germando

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
Yeah it is great for the not so savy friends around us *cough parents cough*. It is not limited to drives either you can even mount a seperate partition as a folder if you wanted too. The only catch is you must use NTFS which everyone with xp or higher should be using anyway.

G

Lico Solo

Lico Solo

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I did the mounting of the new drive. The new folder on the new drive F has the C drive files but still de C drive does not show more room for Windows 7 to install. Do I erase files on C drive? What should I do?

Thanks

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Direct to: Lico Solo

Please start your own topic as this topic is 2 months old now.
Although your issue may seem similar there can be other factors that may need to be resolved.
By bumping on someone's topic it makes it confusing for the tech to understand who they are helping. This can in turn cause the wrong support to be given and can cause instability or worse to happen to your system.
Thank you for your cooperation.