Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista or XP?

• Please log in to reply

RosesRred-1

RosesRred-1

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi there. :)

I have used Pc's for years but only just started trying to learn about them and make decisions for myself over what is best for my needs. Confess to getting a buzz out of it all.

I am about to buy a Notebook (which I gather is the name for a laptop now?) for business use and noticed that I am asked if I want Vista or XP. My question is, do I have to pick one or the other and once chosen will it affect all the things that I have set up through XP. I have XP at home.

I hope this sort of makes sense as I am not really 100% of the difference and implications of each one.

many thanks,

RRR x

Advertisements

Tal

Tal

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 2,138 posts
Hi :)

Yes, you will have to choose between XP or Vista. Vista is a newer operating system that tends to take more system resources, hence worse performance than you could have gotten with XP with the same laptop.

When installing an operating system, you don't copy it from another PC (if I understood your intentions correctly) but rather 'start over', unless you want to transfer data from another computer.

Personally, I'd suggest you to stick with XP. It features better performance and it's a much more stable (and sometimes less annoying) operating system (although not containing all security features present in Vista). It's also cheaper, and the performance boost give you more bang for your buck :)

Enjoy your new laptop (or a Notebook...) and let us know what you've picked :)

frantique

frantique

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,700 posts
Hi RosesRred-1. Am wondering if you have utilised our wonderful search function here at GTG. This question (or similar) has been asked a number of times and a couple of searches should yield further responses for you to consider in assisting you to make your decision.
Cheers