Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Xbox 360 on a PC monitor

• Please log in to reply

MJRevell

MJRevell

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
Hey guys,

I read the article on IGN about how to hook the 360 up to a pc monitor, and it's raised a few questions - if you can help me out, it would be much appreciated.

The method I would be using is a VGA cable, which comes with a red and white lead for sound. I don't know many monitors that supports these leads, so it would mean buying speakers as well as a monitor. Do you know what kind of speakers support such plugs? Are they expensive?

The other option would be the optical cable that can plug into the back of the VGA slot. The trouble is I have no idea what kind of speakers support this either. Same as above: do you know what kind of speakers can take these? Or a website where I can find them? Are there any cheap little ones I can get that use this type of audio plug?

More expensive monitors come with speakers... I presume I'd still need to connect the red and white cables to such monitors?

Many thanks for your help!

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

The method I would be using is a VGA cable, which comes with a red and white lead for sound. I don't know many monitors that supports these leads, so it would mean buying speakers as well as a monitor. Do you know what kind of speakers support such plugs? Are they expensive?

Can you give me a link to the article your reading, VGA cables cannot transfer sound signals from my experience, therefore I have no idea what you're talking about here.

Get the logitech X540 speakers, I know for a fact that they come with the adapter for the Xbox (360) and don't break the bank.

The other option would be the optical cable that can plug into the back of the VGA slot. The trouble is I have no idea what kind of speakers support this either. Same as above: do you know what kind of speakers can take these? Or a website where I can find them? Are there any cheap little ones I can get that use this type of audio plug?

If you mean S/PDIF, then I know the Z-5500 support it, but they are quite expensive. The analog connection with the X-540's will work great.

More expensive monitors come with speakers... I presume I'd still need to connect the red and white cables to such monitors?

You cannot send audio over a VGA cable. At this time only HDMI can do this.
James

Edited by james_8970, 13 January 2008 - 12:48 PM.

MJRevell

MJRevell

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Thanks for the reply, james.

In regards to the audio, I realise the VGA itself doesn't transfer sound - which is why I wanted to ask the question. As well as the actual VGA plug, the same lead has a red plug and white plug which transfer audio - which need to attach to some form of speakers, otherwise I'll be playing without sound.

If I use a pc monitor with the 360, and plug these red and white leads into the logitech X540 speakers you mentioned, will that be a viable set up?

Thanks for your help!

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

If I use a pc monitor with the 360, and plug these red and white leads into the logitech X540 speakers you mentioned, will that be a viable set up?

No, the speakers plug into your Xbox 360, not your TV.

the same lead has a red plug and white plug which transfer audio

Now I see what your talking about here, this has nothing to do with the VGA hook up. The red and white connectors you are describing are the component left and right speaker wire.
Very few monitors actually have this, basically it's the 3 inputs you see infront of every TV. The only way I can see you getting audio is by either using HDMI (would require the purchase of a HD2x00 or HD38x0 card) or getting the X-540 speakers from logitech.
Please note that there are other models from logitech that will work as well as other brands, just head on over to best buy and they'll find you a set. The only reason why I'm suggesting them is because I have a set and know that they will work.
James

Edited by james_8970, 13 January 2008 - 04:23 PM.