Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

freezes

• Please log in to reply

vazman

vazman

• Pip
  • 7 posts
my laptop is a hp laptop fairly new dont no specifications but every tine we go on it takes 5 miinutes after writing the password in to logon an after about 20 minz the laptop freezes and then we have to do ctrl alt delete and it takes 5 minz for that to appear

Advertisements

vioilly

vioilly

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Sometimes sluggish behaviour can be memory problems - check how much memory you have installed. Right clik my computer icon and goto properties and it shoud list the amount. If it is only 256mb then you may need more. More advanced options is to do some memory performance monitoring by using perfmon (search on how to use this - but basically look at available memory counters)

A good idea is to look for a light on the laptop that indicates your hard drive activity - if this is flashing constantly or nearly always on then your disk is running fairly high which means it is processing information - If the light is flashing a lot, leave the laptop until it has stopped and then login - this will prove if it is a logon issue or too many programs tyring to start when you have switched on the latop.

Therefore the other area you could look into is how much is starting up when you boot into windows. Type msconfig in "Start > run....". Have a look at the startup tab and see what else is loading. Careful here though - dont go changing anything as this really should only be used to check what else is starting at windows logon.

If there is a lot of programs, try to identify what there are, search the internet for help and see if you can disable these from starting up.

If there are not too many applications loading at startup then try logging on a another user and see if this helps

If it is neither of these then make disable your network card - at logon the pc may be looking for an unknown server and timing out. Disabling the network card will stop the pc from looking for remote services.

And lastly, another option would be to run a virus check on your pc - always try to have a virus program running expecially on laptops. It may cost you but will make your laptop run better.

Hope this helps!

vazman

vazman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
i dont no but i had windows vista with the laptop and i can assure u its not a memory issue is it a good idea to installwindows xp instead