Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help Networking with Macbook

• Please log in to reply

onedoller

onedoller

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
I have recently bought a macbook, and I have just finally gotten the network working with all of my other Windows PCs, I connect by using the connect to service SMB://ip address, and the computer pops up in the sidebar in Safari, and whenever i disconnect from the network, they disappear, and I have to connect all over again. I was curious if I can make my computer automatically connect to the windows computers whenever I join the network.

Advertisements

helpmeplease360

helpmeplease360

• Pip
  • 8 posts

I have recently bought a macbook, and I have just finally gotten the network working with all of my other Windows PCs, I connect by using the connect to service SMB://ip address, and the computer pops up in the sidebar in Safari, and whenever i disconnect from the network, they disappear, and I have to connect all over again. I was curious if I can make my computer automatically connect to the windows computers whenever I join the network.

I have a macbook, and I have no idea what you are talking about. :) :)

what kind of router/modem do you have?

onedoller

onedoller

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
I have the Bellsouth Fast Access DSL, and they gave me a wireless router, and a modem all in one, the company that makes it is called 2wire.

helpmeplease360

helpmeplease360

• Pip
  • 8 posts

I have the Bellsouth Fast Access DSL, and they gave me a wireless router, and a modem all in one, the company that makes it is called 2wire.

oh k.

well, if you know your IP address, type it into your safari browser, and it should come up with a box to ask for you password.

The default password for linksys is to leave the username blank and password is admin.
The default password for netgear is username: admin password: password.

Try a combination of those, or just look up on the maker of your modem/router and it should have it on the site.

Follow the directions on the site, and you should be fine.

onedoller

onedoller

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
That is not exactly the problem, and I have just discovered another one, (sorry to be a pain), this might clarify a little about the first problem I had, I can get to the Windows computers by the IP address name etc., but when I go to connect to server, I cannot browse the list of computers on my network, and another one I am having is I can access any of my windows computers, but the windows computers cannot access my Macbook at all.

Gravity Gripp

Gravity Gripp

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,815 posts
Are you using 10.5 or 10.4?

I can't remember about 10.4, but I know in 10.5 I didn't have to do anything to view the shared windows PC's on my home network. If you open up Finder (double click on the hard drive on your desktop) and look on the left side panel, there should be a section called either "Shared" or "Computers", can't remember which. Just expand that section and you should see the computers.

Does this answer your question?

onedoller

onedoller

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
That is exactly the problem, in the left side panel it appears as if no computers are there.

helpmeplease360

helpmeplease360

• Pip
  • 8 posts

That is exactly the problem, in the left side panel it appears as if no computers are there.

mine does that too but it works fine?

onedoller

onedoller

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Right, but I want my shared computers to always be shown in the side panel.