Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Switching C: Drive On Vista?

• Please log in to reply

dtd_tank

dtd_tank

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hey all! I found you searching Google, and I'm hoping that you could help me out with a problem I'm having. I tried asking the IT guys at my work and they weren't knowledgeable enough about Vista to be able to help.

I just ordered a refurbished HP Compaq Presario laptop with the Vista Home Premium OS. Here are my specs:

• AMD Turion 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-56
  • NVIDIA GeForce Go 6100
  • 1.43 GB RAM
  • 120 GB HD

The problem I'm having is that they installed my hard drives in a weird fashion. Here's a screen shot of what's going on:

Posted Image

Everything I've got on the computer wants to be saved automatically to the C:, but my C: is much smaller than my D:. Is there any way to combine my C: and D: into one larger (103.6 GB) drive? If not, is there a way for me to make the D: my main drive for everything?

I tried right-clicking My Documents and a few other things and switching their locations to D:, but then it gets really messy, replacing all of my "My Documents," "My Music," etc. links with links to the D:, and even makes the Documents, Pictures, Music, and Games links on the top right corner of my Start menu become four copies of the same D: link. This is really confusing me, and I'd like to see if you guys could help me out a bit.

Thank you in advance!

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
I don't know why you can't use a partitioning program like partition magic. There are others out there also.

Generally to repartition is safe, but it is always recommended to back up prior to doing it.

dtd_tank

dtd_tank

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Would that do what I'm looking for? I'm not really sure what 'partitioning' is. Also, can I just Google search to find this program?

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
You can googlr it. There are many out there and some free. They will allow you to combine the 2 (c and d).
I would recommend still keeping a c and d. In the event of disaster, you can redo the OS on c and not even touch data on D drive.

I do not use vista, so the question I have is.......Is the approximate 20 gb used on C all belong to the OS? or do you have a lot of pics/music/etc?

dtd_tank

dtd_tank

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
That should all be OS stuff on the C: because, as I said, it's new. I haven't put anything on here except Firefox, a couple plugins, and some Windows Updates.