Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop CD-ROM Issue

• Please log in to reply

hlgcory

hlgcory

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
All:

I am currently trying to troubleshoot an issue with an old Dell Inspiron 1100 Laptop I have. When I insert a disc of any type into the drive i get no response. If i go to My Computer and double click the drive it tells me to insert a disc as if there were no disc inserted. I have also tried going to run>d: and still no luck. When I first insert the disc I can hear drive activity and I don't hear any unusual noises. I've also check the status of the device and it says "this device is working properly". Any suggestions? Any help is appreciated.

Cory

Advertisements

Mephitus

Mephitus

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
when you say you hear drive activity do you mean you hear it spin up and stay spinning or does it make a quick 'vrrr' and stop.. (and/or perhaps some odd tic tic tic noise)...

if the second is true open the tray and using a clean tshirt -gently- wipe the lens... and try it again...

if not true go into the hardware manager and uninstall the device then reboot and see if windows finds/installs it again then try again...

hlgcory

hlgcory

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Ok, so the latter of your descriptions is what the drive is doing. I will hear it spin up then shut down and it will repeat this process a few times before stopping all together. It does sound like a tic, tic sort of sound. I tried clean the lense as well withpedno luck. Uninstalled the device, restarted and windows reinstalled the device and after restarting it a little info box pops up and says found new hardware. This time to my suprise, I inserted a dvd and autorun did not work so I opened nero cd-dvd speed and it recognized that there was a dvd in the drive, I then started the drive speed test and it failed and said something about read of scrambled sector. I then went to my computer and it recognized the dvd I put in, when i double clicked it, the movie started playing and my computer locked up and displayed the blue screen of death. Went back to trying standard data discs and still no repsonse.

hlgcory

hlgcory

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Ok, so the latter of your descriptions is what the drive is doing. I will hear it spin up then shut down and it will repeat this process a few times before stopping all together. It does sound like a tic, tic sort of sound. I tried clean the lense as well withpedno luck. Uninstalled the device, restarted and windows reinstalled the device and after restarting it a little info box pops up and says found new hardware. This time to my suprise, I inserted a dvd and autorun did not work so I opened nero cd-dvd speed and it recognized that there was a dvd in the drive, I then started the drive speed test and it failed and said something about read of scrambled sector. I then went to my computer and it recognized the dvd I put in, when i double clicked it, the movie started playing and my computer locked up and displayed the blue screen of death. Went back to trying standard data discs and still no repsonse.

Mephitus

Mephitus

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
nero cdspeed will always fail with 'scrambled sector' errors on movie dvds (but not pure dvd roms) due to the 'content scrambling system' protection (the little globe with a number on the back of the case)... so thats normal....

just out of curiosity... have you played any older sony/bmg music discs in your computer lately? (the 'protection' they use comes in the form of a rootkit based driver that sits between windows and the CD/DVD drive) --- this most likely isnt the problem so dont worry... esp if you leave automatic updates turned on... but if you dont have automatic updates on you can run this; http://support.micro....com/kb/890830/ and it will remove it...

another theory... the DVD playback software is broken... try the 'uninstall and let windows find it' on the hardware again then try reading only CDROMs (no audio.. just data) and then DVDROMs (again no movie or audio... -just- data) ... and see if it works... if it does then the problem is elsewhere...

hlgcory

hlgcory

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Alright, sorry for the delay, so i uninstalled the driver again and tried just a straight data disc and it worked fine. My objective is to get the cd rom working long enough so i can do a system restore however everytime I put the restore disc in it will not read the disc. However it will read the data disc. Also, I ran the windows malicous software tool and it did not find any issues. Any ideas?