Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems

• Please log in to reply

Elsino

Elsino

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hello everyone!
I have what i'd consider a very peculiar problem with my system.
I built the PC a while back and its been working fine up til a few weeks ago, now, for some reason when the computer is turned off.... it doesnt like to turn back on.
The odd thing is, the computer does turn on, in as much as the lights on the front (both CD drives and the green and orange load lights) come on, but nothing else works. For example. I see nothing on the monitor, the mouse nor keyboard come on.
its stumped me becuase i've built a few computers now and i've never had a problem like this, if anything it just wouldnt turn on at all, not this kind of ... "half turn on" so to speak, especially not after its been working for a while.
Normally after turning it on and off repeatedly it works (this was the case for the first 2 times) however now i've spent too long trying and i'm sure there has to be an easier way. (plus the fact that turning the computer on and off repeatedly really cant be good for it)

One other thing I worked out was that if I plug the usb devices into my front sockets they seem to work ok. which leads me to believe theres something wrong with the motherboards main back panel connections.
anyway, any ideas on how to fix this would be a huge help
so thanks in advance!

Advertisements

zoneykid

zoneykid

• PipPip
  • 84 posts
The same thing happened to me almost a month ago(although i didnt try turning it on and off repeatedly), i replaced the motherboard and processor with new ones and it worked like a charm, hope this helps.

Elsino

Elsino

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
I had a feeling I'd prolly have to replace something, oh well, if it has to be done it has to be done, perhaps i'll upgrade some other parts while i'm pulling bits out.
Thanks for the reply!

zoneykid

zoneykid

• PipPip
  • 84 posts
No problem thats what im here for(and all the other guys too), if you need any advice on which parts to get dont hesitate to ask. :)

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Elsino, do you have an additional PSU on hand? If so try it.
Disconnect your RAM, hard drives and CD drives and see if your computer will boot into BIOS.
Does your computer do any beeps when it starts up?
James

Elsino

Elsino

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
I actually do have a spare PSU free, i'll give that a shot before I go crazy and buy new things,
as for beeps.... I cant remember, I think it may when it first turns on but I cant say for sure. EDIT: it doesnt beep at all, had someone check. the orange and green lights are permanently on. (on the front panel)
when I get back tonight i'll try connecting up the spare PSU and see if it gets me anywhere
dont really look forward to ripping it all out and putting a new motherboard in so fingers crossed its the PSU thats gone crazy.
it just seems so odd that it would do this totally out of the blue. (the first time it happened) I just turned the com off as usual and it didnt turn on the next day.
oh well! I guess thats what computers do best.

Edited by Elsino, 15 January 2008 - 08:06 AM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
If you don't have a surge bar there might have been a power spike, in which case more then the motherboard could be fried. Lets hope that this is not the case.
Again, disconnect your hard drive, CD drives and memory to see if your computer will boot into BIOS.
Do you have a internal case speaker connected to your motherboard?
James

Elsino

Elsino

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
nope, no case speaker.
i'm so excited to get home in 2 hours odd and kick my broken computer a bit more :):)
i'll just plug the spare PSU into the mother board and fan and graphics card, i'll just leave all the other bits out, it'll save disconnecting the current PSU from everything and then plugging it all in again if the problem is found!
means I only need to pull the RAM out!
cant wait! :)

cable89

cable89

banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
it can be a C moss batery problem or the CPU remember this helped me alot go from simple to complex good luck i hope i helped

Elsino

Elsino

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
well, nothing happened with the other PSU, did the same thing! so, I just decided to take a shotgun to it and blow it to smithereens!... theoretically anyway!
Instead I just bought a new computer and i'll just mix and match some stuff from the old system.
thanks for the help everyone, that computer has driven me mad for the last time :)
Elsino.

Edited by Elsino, 16 January 2008 - 05:47 AM.