Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows would not start PCI.SYS missing

• Please log in to reply

priest_004

priest_004

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi there folks,

Have had this problem for a few days now.

Windows would not start : windows\system32\DRIVERS\pci.sys file missing or corrupt.

I have reformated and reinstalled XP PRO SP1 but the error is STILL there.
yes I can start in safe mode and if I put the cd in the drive windows will start without a problem.
I was wondering if this was a HARDWARE issue now (fried hard drive or memory stick etc.)
I should let you know that thanks to the wonderful weather in britain we had a lightning storm the other day and our electricity went off. could this have damaged my computer??

Thanks in advance for any help or insight you can offer.

j :)

Advertisements

Kelvin

Kelvin

• PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
Try redownloading the driver? What is pci.sys for? You should know what driver it is for.

Anyway, this is a similar topic to your problem:

http://www.techspot....topic16553.html

Read it - it will help. There's lots of solutions in there - and lots of users replying with positive outcomes.

~Kelvin

Edited by Kelvin, 14 January 2008 - 06:33 AM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
PCI.SYS is part of XP, it's on the CD in the I386 directory as PCI.SY_ (compressed). It should also be in the C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache directory. Try copying it from there to C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers directory, see if that helps.

If you get Access denied, you can do the copy by booting the Recovery Console from your XP CD. If for some reason it's not in dllcache, you can use the expand command to extract it from the XP CD to the hard drive. Enter expand /? for usage information.

priest_004

priest_004

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
hello again.

tried the system repair and copying the file from my xp cd. but the same message just kept appearing.

i have since found out that it was down to a faulty memory stick. i tried taking them out one at a time. the problem has now been sorted.

Thank you both for your help.

Priest. :)