Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

T30 or R52

• Please log in to reply

tangerine3

tangerine3

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hi,

I am in the market for an older IBM Thinkpad and have two options right now. I can buy a T30 or an R52 and each is the same price. $300.

What I want to know is which one would be the better buy in your opinion.

Thinkpad R52 (type 1847 DD2) comes with:

1.7 GHz Pentium M 740 Sonoma processor
2.0 MB L2 cache
80 GB hard drive
1 GB RAM (533 MHz SODIMM)
Combination CD-RW/DVD-RW
15" active matrix SXGA-TFT
backlit LCD, 1400x1050
Two 480 Mbps USB ports (version 2.0)
Radeon Mobility M300 with 64 MB VRAM
4 Mbps Infrared
6 Cell Lithium-ion battery
S-video out
IEEE Firewire port
1 type I/II CardBus (PCMCIA) slot
Integrated 10/100/gigabit Ethernet
Integrated 56Kbps modem
Integrated Atheros 54Mbps a/b/g wireless
Integrated Bluetooth
SoundMax audio

or the T30 that has:

P IV
20 gig HD
1.6 gig speed
wireless
charger
win XP
512MB ram
dvd

I know it seems obvious that the R52 is better equipped but sometimes different models are better than others no matter what and I don't know which of these models are better. I will only be using the laptop when going out of town about 5 times a year and will only need it to get on the net and run an Access database. Thank you.

Edited by tangerine3, 14 January 2008 - 01:41 PM.

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi there

After a quick bit of searching, I can't find any reason not to go with the R52 (although you didn't mention which OS it has loaded, but I'm assuming its XP).

Basically, in my experience, you're normally safe with IBM whatever the particular model or series is. If these two laptops are being sold for the same price by the same seller, then maybe ask the seller why the R52 is no more expensive that the T30, given the improved spec.

Sorry I can't provide you with a more definitive answer than that, but I hope this helps a little bit.