Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

...USB Device over current?

• Please log in to reply

zoneykid

zoneykid

• PipPip
  • 84 posts
I kinda feel like i'm spamming the forum since this is my 3rd thread in the same week...

Anyway, i was working in BIOS then i saved and restarted nothing pops up on screen so i clear the bios then starts the computer looks fine till its supposed to start booting into windows, instead it says "Warning!!! USB Device over current status detected!!! unplug USB device!!! computer will restart in 18 seconds."

Anyone have any idea what the heck this is? By the way the only things plugged into the USB is my keyboard and mouse and i tried unplugging those with no success...

EDIT: err... i just realized i posted this in the wrong topic, meant to post it in the hardware and stuff topic.

Edited by zoneykid, 15 January 2008 - 08:15 PM.

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Theres only three things I can think of for this known problem with asus boards

Try another keyboard and mouse
Reset the cmos again by removing the motherboard battery for 15 minutes with the machine unpluged
Dis connect front usb if you have it to see if thats causing the problem

zoneykid

zoneykid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
Tried all those, i tried taking out the motherboard turns out it was the case shorting my motherboard now its doing the same thing only not with the usb, so now i have to either electrical tape it or get a new case... =(

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Great job finding that and thanks for reporting it, this problem is all over the web with no one solution, I remember to suggest checking that.

Electrical tape cpould possibly work, what seems to be making contact with the case?

zoneykid

zoneykid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
I think its something on the back of the motherboard, for now im running it on a cardboard box since i dont feel like trying to fix it yet..

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Just make sure all the standoffs line up with the mounting holes on the board, no more and no less, if you have a extra in there that will do it

zoneykid

zoneykid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
...Standoffs, how do i use em cause the ones i have make my motherboard too high and the back ports wont fit, and the pci slots arent able to be screwed down since they're too high...

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
What case do you have?
Provide a link if possible.

rustiferch

rustiferch

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have this issue also. I have not found any fixes for this, only a dodgy work around.

Go into the BIOS and change "Halt on all Errors" to none. Keeps you working for now...