Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ReInstalling Freezes

• Please log in to reply

dude71121

dude71121

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I'm currently reinstalling my operating system because some .dll files were missing and I was never able to do an error-check.

However, the installation freezes everytime I reboot my computer.
I've tried opening all of the F8 commands in Safe mode, debugging, last good point, etc. But everytime it states that it needs the operating system installed and restart; only to freeze up with "35 minutes" to go and halfway through the installation.
Ive used the command prompt (Shift + F10) and setupapi.log, found the problem, but could not open the folder to delete that said .inf file.
I've used another Windows Operating System CD.
I've disconnected all of my USB attachments.
I've used BIOS and disabled all of the hardware.

WHAT CAN I DO?!?!

Please help!

I can't start my computer like normal until it is finished installing. I'm on my roommate's computer.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi dude71121,

You say you are using another OS CD. What's wrong with your own? The one you are attempting to use, is it scratched?

It's possible you may have some kind of hardware error, if you have data on the drive you need to access (pictures, files etc), then I suggest you slave the HDD into another computer (such as your room-mates) and copy them all over. Sometimes with errors a full format of the hard drive straightens things out.

Another hardware error that may cause these problems is faulty RAM, you can test it by doing the following:
Click this for a guide to using Memtest

Click this to download Memtest

Let us know what you try and how it goes, or feel free to ask further questions.

Troy :)