Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

data recover/hdd problem

• Please log in to reply

pr0n

pr0n

• PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
so I adjusted a few things in my nvidia nforce 4 overclocking program (forget the exact name) well anyway my computer froze. then when I boot up and it does the raid check (after post/mem check) it just stops right there (I do not have any raids currently and didn't at the time of crash). in the bios it identifies all the hard drives correctly, If I disconnect my main drive from the IDE it boots normally, that is assuming that I have some other form of booting (backup drive ,windows cd etc.) how can I recover this data if as soon as I connect it to IDE it won't boot(even if I'm not booting from it or if It's set as slave instead of master)

I've seen similar problems on hard drives that have been dropped but I don't understand how anything being written to it while explorer was running normally could have screwed it up.

I've got TONS of data here and any input would be great. or if you know of a company that can get the data for me (preferably with guaranteed confidentiality)

Edited by pr0n, 16 January 2008 - 02:46 AM.

Advertisements

Mephitus

Mephitus

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
try running 'chkdsk /p' on all your harddrives in the recovery console (boot the XP install CD... its somewhere in the repair options.... dont select 'repair' tho... you just want the console.... you do remember your admin password right :) )

pr0n

pr0n

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
no, the computer wont boot to anything if this HDD is connected it gets stuck at the raid check which is before boot but after memcheck/post

Mephitus

Mephitus

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
do you have another system you could put this drive in that would boot with it connected? (so you can check it there)

since you say you dont have any raids set up can you disable the raid check in the bios? (the harddrive might have data written to it that says its part of a raid and thats whats hanging the bios)