Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem with chkdsk and orphaned files

• Please log in to reply

Thizzia

Thizzia

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hi!
Please bear my english :)

I have this problem: Everytime I turn off my computer after having it on a very long time (usually more than 24 hours), next time I reboot I always get chkdsk cheking my drive D (I have two hard drives, partitions C, Z in one, and D in a 80gb Samsung drive wich is causing this problem) - the messages I get varies between fixing truncated files, or deleting/fixing orphaned files, or indexing.

When I turn off my computer while it was on a short period of time, this never occurs.

I already checked my D drive with its driver utility, no problem, HDD: no problem. Disabled indexing, and ran chkdsk, defrag, etc. But nothing fixes it.

I formated Windows, and all the partitions, but the problem keeps happening.

Any help?
This is very frustrating :)

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
How did you get this lettering for the drives (Z ). Did you change drive letters after format? What I suggest is that you reformat while having only the drive, in which you want the operating system, installed in the computer. In the process delete the old partitions and create new ones. Run full format (not quick). After finishing xp installation connect the 80 gig drive and let windows recognise and set a letter for it. Do not change the letters. Now go to My Computer, right click the 80 gig disk icon and choose format (full format.).

Thizzia

Thizzia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I've done that, but the problem persists. I have made more than one reformating, that Z partition used to be D before (set automatically by windows) and problematic drive was E - it was the same.

Last time I formatted, I chose Z for no particular reason.

One thing I noticed, but I'm not too sure, is that before that this problem started, I used to have another antivirus installed. The problem begun (I think) in the time I installed Nod32. Can Nod32 be doing something wrong?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Do you have anything written into this 80 gig disk? If yes, could you format it and run it while empty, trying to recreate the problem with an empty disk?

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
When you say "Turn off my computer" do you mean do a normal shutdown or do you mean literally turning off the power without shutting down?

Thizzia

Thizzia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Do you have anything written into this 80 gig disk? If yes, could you format it and run it while empty, trying to recreate the problem with an empty disk?

I will try this today and let you know :)

When you say "Turn off my computer" do you mean do a normal shutdown or do you mean literally turning off the power without shutting down?

Yes, normal shutdown. One thing to add, usually I have some p2p program (installed in C) that store/download files in D.
I don't think this can be the cause, I always had this kind of setup and no problem.
I also tried shutting down every program one by one, and then hitting the red turn off button - same results.

Today I unisnstalled Nod32 and installed AVG - I will test how it goes from here... :)