Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Error Messages and More Issues

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ztruker is right on the money. That exactly how to go about isolating the problem.

Let us know how it goes. :)

Advertisements

JaszyPye

JaszyPye

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Sorry for the while Ive been gone *believe me theres a good reason* but I would love if you all could could cotinue to help me with this problem im having.

Z-Truker - I did everything that you said to below ....

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Click on Start then Run, type msconfig and press Enter.
Click on the Startup tab and disable everything (I mean everything).
Do a regular boot, see if it runs normal.
If yes then use msconfig to enable several items at a time till you find the culprit.

If no, click on the Services tab. Check the Hide All Microsoft Services box then click the Disable All button.
Again, do a regular boot, see if it runs normal.
If yes then use msconfig to enable services till you find the culprit.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Still got my same bsod below...

~_~_~_~_~__~_~_~_~__~_~_~__~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~__~_~_~_

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer

Kernel_data_inpage_error

If this is the first time youve seen this stop error screen, restart your computer.
If this screen appears again follow these steps.

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows updates you might need. If problems continue, disable and remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory such as caching or shadowing, If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Start-Up options and then select safe mode

TECHNICAL INFORMATION:
*** STOP: 0x0000007A
(0xc02017D4)
(0xc000000E)
(0x805F5A64)
(0x0350F860)

Beginning dump of physical memory...

Physical memory dump complete.
Contact your system administrator or tech support group for further assistance.

~_~_~_~__~_~__~_~__~_~_~__~_~__~_~_~__~_~_~__~_~_~_~__~_~_~__~_~__~_~__~_~_~

Believe it or not I NEVER get a bsod when running in safe mode*

Thank you all so much for your time and help~ And again sorry for the while Ive been gone!

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
If you don't get the error in Safe Mode then it must be a driver problem of some kind. I'm going to post anther "how to degbug" scenario. Even though you've already done Startup and Srvices, follow it from beginning to end. Post back with results.

Step 1

Start > Run, type
msconfig
<enter>

On the general tab, select SELECTIVE START UP then uncheck
load system.ini
load win.ini
load startup services
load startup items

Reboot.
Does the error repeat? If not, continue with the next part. If so, go to STEP 2.

If not, Start > Run, type
msconfig
<enter>

check load startup items
Reboot.
Does the error repeat? If not, continue with the next part. If so, go to STEP 2.

msconfig
<enter>

check load startup services
Reboot.

msconfig
<enter>

check load win.ini
Reboot.

msconfig
<enter>

check load system.ini
Reboot.

Report back

-------------------------------------

STEP 2

When you find the error, repeating, you have arrived at the group that is causing the problem.

Leave everything as is and go to the tab with the same name as the one you just re-enabled and uncheck everything you find within the tab....reboot.

Does the probelm recur? If not, check one item and reboot, continuing until you discover the offending application/service

Then report back

JaszyPye

JaszyPye

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Thanks for helping me with this! I am really grateful that you can still help!

I did what you said but RIGHT after step one...
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Step 1

Start > Run, type
msconfig
<enter>

On the general tab, select SELECTIVE START UP then uncheck
load system.ini
load win.ini
load startup services
load startup items
Reboot.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I got the screen again. Of course It didnt come up as quickly as it usually does. It usually comes up around five minutes of running my computer this time it took about 2 or 3 hours. Im also still getting those error messages with almost every program I have installed.

---
The program freezes right after I start it and then it says~
Windows Ulead photo explorer has encountered an error and needs to close.
At first it was just the internet browsers that I couldnt use. Now its almost everything!
---

Theres also other things that have stopped working such as the sound in the laptop. Its weird because it makes the login and logoff sounds as clear as day but if I decide to play something in Windows Media Player or anything else the computer says that there is no sound device installed but thats just the most recent problem. Ive never seen that happen before. Just thought you should know.

Once again thanks for all of your help. I'll make sure not to touch it again until you tell me what to do cause I have no idea what would happen :)

Edited by JaszyPye, 24 March 2008 - 03:37 PM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Okay, need to think about this a bit. For the time being, put everything in msconfig back to normal (check the things you unchecked).

JaszyPye

JaszyPye

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
ok :) No problem

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
One of the things I've found for Kernel_data_inpage_error 0x0000007a is a corrupted page file. Try Mark Russinovich's PageDefrag, see if that clears up the problem. If not, I've asked Wannabe1 to stop by again and see if he has any suggestions.

JaszyPye

JaszyPye

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Im about to download the Mark Russinovich's PageDefrag but I restarted my computer and It stopped before loading anything and I wrote down what it said thinking that it would be the first and last time I saw the message. Little did I know it would be there everytime I re-started my computer.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
131072 KBOK

Asset 7538983 PO05T52754PC

1720-SMART HARD DRIVE detects imminent failure
(failing Attr:05)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Says that everytime I start up and gives me the option to ignore it and everything loads up as usual. I also get an error message soon after my desktop icons all show up saying the windows has just recovered from a critical error*

Weird seeing as I havent done anything to it. Do you think buying a windows XP cd will help out with anything? Or it way past fixing because of a Hard rive problem?

Once again Thank you for all your help :)

Edited by JaszyPye, 26 March 2008 - 01:34 AM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Yes, sorry, meant later, not letter.

That message means your hard drive is dieing. Your best bet at this point is to buy a new hard drive, clone the old one to it using the CD that comes with the drive, then remove the old drive and put the new on in it's place. Make sure everything runs okay.

You can then put the old drive in as a slave, delete any/all partitions, format it and use as a temporary storage area until it dies completely. Could be tomorrow, could be a year from now, no way to tell but I wouldn't risk my data on a questionable hard drive.

BTW: If you do it this way, you shouldn't have to buy a copy of XP, at least not now.

JaszyPye

JaszyPye

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Im not all that good when it comes to installing things so I guess I'll take it to a shop and ask them to do it. Do you know what kind of hard drives would be best for a compaq armada and why do you think it died out in the first place :) BTW would it just be easier to get a new laptop or is the price of getting a hardrive and getting it installed much cheaper?

Thank you for your help! :)

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
I just realized this is a laptop. That makes it both easier and harder.

Easier to replace the hard drive, usually just one or two screws on the bottom of the laptop then you slide the old drive out and put the new one in.

Harder because you can't mount the new drive as a slave inside the computer like you can with a desktop system. You would need to buy an external USB 2.0 hard drive enclosure or a USB Universal drive adapter (like the NewerTech USB 2.0 Universal Drive Adapter) and clone the drive to it.

The key point here is if you take it to a shop, they must promise to clone your old drive to your new drive so you lose nothing.

On your part, you need to backup your data so if they screw up, you can restore your data, but then you will need to purchase a copy of XP to install, or the shop will install one for you. If they do end up installing a new copy of XP, make darned sure they give you the CD.

I would expect this to run in the $200 range, depending on how much the hard drive costs.

Now is a great time to implement a good backup strategy that will protect you from a hardware or software failure in the future.

I'd recommend getting an external USB 2.0 drive enclosure, with fan and at least a 250GB hard drive (IDE). The you can buy Acronis True Image or Norton Ghost or go the free route as I do and use DriveImage XML.

If you go the DIXML route then you will want to also get and build Ultimate Boot CD For Windows (UBCD4WIN),. It is a bootable CD that you create on your computer using your own copy of Windows XP. One of it's included tools is DIXML so in the event of a hard drive failure you just replace the drive, boot the UBCD4WIN CD and restore from your external USB drive.

Keep the backup current. I keep two full backups and replace the oldest. I do this usually once every two months unless I've made some significant changes to my system in which case I do it immediately.

I also backup my important data (not the entire drive) on a more frequent basis than I do full backups.

If you have this then you can simply buy a new hard drive of the same or larger size when necessary, install it (easy to do) and restore the latest backup. 30 minutes later your on the air.

JaszyPye

JaszyPye

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
:) Okay that sounds simple enough! Thank you! :)

*I hope nothing else goes wrong* I was starting to think that computers hate me :) They only act up when I get near em~ :)

Both you and wannabe1 have been of great help to me~ :)

You both kept me from :) going crazy and just trashing the computer. I'll get right on getting it fixed! :)

THANKS AGAIN*

Edited by JaszyPye, 30 March 2008 - 10:11 PM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Good luck, please let us know how you make out.