Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Vista and my 7800GS

• Please log in to reply

UV_Power

UV_Power

• PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
Well, I did it. I upgraded to Windows Vista Business. Long story short, I had to reformat, so I figured I'd at least try it. And so far I really like it. No problems yet. No blue screens, no program crashes. And boots up and opens programs faster than XP ever did. Very surprising.

Anyways, that is not why I am posting today. I am posting because since I have upgraded to Vista, my video card's fan runs at full rpm from the moment I press the power button. It is really noisy and I am hoping that there might be a fix out there. My video card is an eVGA 7800GS AGP.

Does anyone know if there is a common fix to this? And if not, is there a way to set the RPMs on the fan of the video card manually? If I can't solve this problem, I might just go back to XP (for my video card's sake), but I only want to do that as a last resort.

Any ideas?

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Start by downloading the latest drivers here: Nvidia Drivers.

If that does not fix your issue then you can download the NTune program on the same site that allows you to manually adjust the speed of your fan.

UV_Power

UV_Power

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
Yep, already got the driver, but I will try the NTune and see how that works out. Thanks.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Download RivaTuner, you can adjust the fan speed to what ever you like.
James

UV_Power

UV_Power

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
Update:

After trying Rivatuner, my fan works fine now. I didn't even have to change any settings. Just having it open calms my video card down. Haha.

Thanks again guys. :)

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
No problem, glade your issue has been resolved.
James