Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Changing WPA to WEP

• Please log in to reply

Griffo2008

Griffo2008

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hello there everyone. This is my first post...so be nice :)

I was recently at my girlfriend's house, who has a Wanadoo (Orange) Livebox as her router. Her brother got a Nintendo Wii for Christmas, but he is unable to connect it to the network, nor can he connect his PSP or my iPod Touch.

I was just wondering whether the Livebox only connects to laptops and desktop PCs. I have had a look at the router's settings, and the only thing that I thought could change the circumstance was changing their current WPA encryption to WEP. However, I hesitated with this because the father relies on the network for his home business. Without it, he's stuffed lol.

I am 90% sure I know how to solve this, but please I'm relying on you guys to give my that extra 10%. Thank you in advance.

Edited by Griffo2008, 17 January 2008 - 06:29 AM.

Advertisements

Gravity Gripp

Gravity Gripp

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,815 posts
Welcome to Geeks-To-Go :)

I personally recommend against using WEP in any case. WEP is flawed and can easily be cracked in literally minutes. I know for a fact that the PSP will support WPA encryption and the iPod touch and the Wii will support up to WPA2.

You might be able to get some useful information out of this site on how to get the Wii working: http://www.nintendo....routerIndex.jsp

Griffo2008

Griffo2008

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
So perhaps its best to maybe keep WPA, but use a different method of encryption? Because at the moment, there is a desktop PC and 2 laptops connected to it, but it will not accept the Wii, PSP or iPod Touch after a lot of internet research lol!

I've exhausted all my options.