Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

About RAM aka memory

• Please log in to reply

Canorro

Canorro

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
DDR3 carries an average of 30% less power consumption and higher memory bandwidth than DDR2. These features allows for RAM clock speeds up to 1333MHz to 1600MHz.
From alienware
Soo I was reading from alienware they have DDR3 are they other like SDRAM2 or something.
Also was wondering my computer needs more ram I went to Sam Club and they selling some ram I wanna know what type of ram my comp uses because it running pretty slow with 512MB of ram its a Emachine 2881 I think its sdram.
Also went I run some scans it says it AGP compatible but I don't see any AGP slots.
I try uploded the motherboard specs it in (.pdf) format it was more than 500k it was like 700k (I try coverting in adobe reader but it awfully ugly in text).Thats a lot of ???.. :)
motherboard type is VC37GV Motherboard

Edited by Canorro, 17 January 2008 - 04:36 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
VC37GV is made by First International Computer Inc (FIC) and doesn't have an AGP slot. It takes normal DDR memory, DDR266 or DDR333.
Most eMachines don't have AGP or PCI-E ports, its what makes them cheap. You won't get DDR2 or DDR3 in that machine.

Canorro

Canorro

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
But can I buy any type of ram stick and it will work i just read is sdram and what about the other ques??

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
No you can't just buy any old stick of memory and expect it to work. You need a specific speed and a specific type, your best bet is to look your machine up on crucial.com and see their prices.

DDR3 is next generation memory.

SIMM -> SDRAM -> DDR -> DDR2 -> DDR3 -> DDR4.

The terms DDR and SDRAM are often used interchangably - the full name for DDR, DDR2 and DDR3 is actually DDR SDRAM, DDR2 SDRAM, etc.
However most people, when they use the term SDRAM on their own, are referring to the older memory technology with three notches on the gold plating.

Canorro

Canorro

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

No you can't just buy any old stick of memory and expect it to work. You need a specific speed and a specific type, your best bet is to look your machine up on crucial.com and see their prices.

DDR3 is next generation memory.

SIMM -> SDRAM -> DDR -> DDR2 -> DDR3 -> DDR4.

The terms DDR and SDRAM are often used interchangably - the full name for DDR, DDR2 and DDR3 is actually DDR SDRAM, DDR2 SDRAM, etc.
However most people, when they use the term SDRAM on their own, are referring to the older memory technology with three notches on the gold plating.

Thx for the info :)
my computer its DDR PC2700 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR333 • 2.5V
too bad its not even ddr2

Edited by Canorro, 18 January 2008 - 11:34 PM.

skie_m

skie_m

• Pip
  • 7 posts
From the eMachines website on that particular replacement motherboard, as well as a clip from Intel's website concerning the chipset:

Intel 845GV Graphics and Memory Controller Hub (GMCH)

The Intel® 845GV chipset is an innovative integrated graphics chipset developed with DDR266 memory and optimized to support the Intel® Pentium® 4 processor supporting Hyper-Threading (HT) Technology†. The Intel® 845GV chipset features Intel® Extreme Graphics technology, running at 266 MHz core speed.

This particular motherboard model has an onboard AGP graphics adapter, but no AGP expansion slot. This will require you to allocate system memory for the graphics chipset to function normally, which takes away from the installed system ram available for program usage. The recommended amount of memory to allocate for your AGP video chipset needs should be set to 64 MB, with the amount of system memory you have available. This will be the setting in your BIOS that controls your "AGP aperature". Simply cycle through the available choices till 64 MB appears, then save and exit the bios. Note that you will need at least version 1.11 of your motherboard chipset drivers to be able to set the video memory higher than 48 MB.

Canorro

Canorro

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

From the eMachines website on that particular replacement motherboard, as well as a clip from Intel's website concerning the chipset:

Intel 845GV Graphics and Memory Controller Hub (GMCH)

The Intel® 845GV chipset is an innovative integrated graphics chipset developed with DDR266 memory and optimized to support the Intel® Pentium® 4 processor supporting Hyper-Threading (HT) Technology†. The Intel® 845GV chipset features Intel® Extreme Graphics technology, running at 266 MHz core speed.

This particular motherboard model has an onboard AGP graphics adapter, but no AGP expansion slot. This will require you to allocate system memory for the graphics chipset to function normally, which takes away from the installed system ram available for program usage. The recommended amount of memory to allocate for your AGP video chipset needs should be set to 64 MB, with the amount of system memory you have available. This will be the setting in your BIOS that controls your "AGP aperature". Simply cycle through the available choices till 64 MB appears, then save and exit the bios. Note that you will need at least version 1.11 of your motherboard chipset drivers to be able to set the video memory higher than 48 MB.

Better than nicer! THX Than you! gracias! arigato! soo how can I allocate more memory to graphic if i can somehow i think its alredy set to 64MB but can I increase it to 128 MB?how can I change BIOS controls.how can I know what version my motherboard chipset is? or that this means I i buy more ram i will have more graphic?I have update graphics to intels extreme graphics controller!Also were and how do you update motherboards?

Edited by Canorro, 20 January 2008 - 02:00 AM.