Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Noise within computer

• Please log in to reply

hboss

hboss

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi IVe had my compaq pc for about 2 years now and it seems that I am experiencing a extremely huge loud noise when the pc starts. It sounds kind of like when you turn on the vaccumm cleaner, but the problem is tht it happens when I turn on my computer. Another problem is that sometime I would use one program such as AIM and the cpu skyrockets up to about 99-100 and my startup takes about 10 minutes to fully load. I checked the fans and they seem to be running fine? Does anyone know what the problem can be?

Advertisements

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello, and welcome to Geeks To Go.
Did you clean out the heat sink? If there is a lot of dust in the heat sink your fan will not be able to cool the processor.
Use a can of compressed air (air compressors are too powerful) and a tooth pick.
1) hold the fan with the toothpick so that it does not spin.
2) Blow the air into the heat sink vents underneath the fan.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Is there a CD in your CD drive? They are known to get very noisy during the end of their life.

hboss

hboss

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
nope. there is no cd in the drive.

alrite i have no compressed cans right now so ill update you guys when i get one and use it. Thanks for the tip!

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts

nope. there is no cd in the drive.

alrite i have no compressed cans right now so ill update you guys when i get one and use it. Thanks for the tip!

I suggest once you've cleaned the heatsink, before you put the side back on the case, start the computer up & see if you can identify exactly what's making the noise (assuming it still is). My guess would be that if its not the cpu fan, then it's probably the power supply. You might want to check the power supply fan at the rear of the case for dust as well.

hboss

hboss

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
yes, i indeed have a feeling its the power supply. I did spray a little bit into that area and the noise have toned a bit. Another question I have was every time I install something, the hard drive would *click* and causes the program installed to not respond , resulting in the program freezing and causing my comptuer ot restart itself automatically.

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts

the hard drive would *click* and causes the program installed to not respond , resulting in the program freezing and causing my computer ot restart itself automatically

Please back up any thing you do not want to lose before you do any thing else.
This could be a sign that your hard drive is failing.
When you cleaned out the power supply the sound toned down, Is it still louder than it used to be?
If the fan stops working you will need to replace the power supply.

hboss

hboss

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
its still loud but not as loud as it used to be.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Were you able to more closely pin-point the area in which it was coming from?

hboss

hboss

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
i think near my harddrive but i am not exactly sure, somewhere around that area. Ive also noticed when ever my computer starts to go up 99% the fan area on top starts to become very hot.