Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Just Finnished My new Gameing Machine

• Please log in to reply

Chalkie

Chalkie

• Pip
  • 7 posts
ok here goes prepared to be wowed :-)

AMD Phenom Quad Core 9600+
Gigabyte GA-MA790FX-DQ6
OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) PC2-8500C5 DDR2
2 x BFG GeForce 8800 Ultra OC 768MB, 630MHz Core, 2220MHz GDDR3 Memory, 128 Stream Processors
JEANTECH, 1000W ATX POWER SUPPLY UNIT
1 x 160GB HDD for windows only, 1 x 500GB HDD for applications and games, 1 x 750GB HDD for data like music, movies photos and anything else
Alphacool Laing 3X Watercooling Kit (http://www.overclock...rodid=WC-023-AC)
Running on windows vista ultimate 64BIT

Total Cost: £2300 or just over :-)

Crysis Benchmark on high settings on 1440x900res AVG 58FPS

i love this machine

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Congrats, let us know how high you are able to stabely clock the 9600 with the watercooling.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Not sure why you went with a Phenom, considering your budget. Phenoms are simply cheaper alternatives to the Core 2s, but they can't compete performance-wise.

Other than that, looks like a top-of-the-line build. Too bad it will be obsoleted in a few months with Intel's Penryns and NVIDIA's 9 series. But, hey, that's technology for you. :)

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Wait, you are running two SLI capable cards on a crossfire motherboard? Why didn't you go Intel and nVidia?
James

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
I assume that it works/boots. Are you getting issues trying SLI in games?

Chalkie

Chalkie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
well the board manual says the 16x PCI slots will support nvidia as well, as for going intel, my mind was set on getting an amd, i already have a core 2 quad machine. I have had a few tweaking issues with the SLI espically on vista, but it boots

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

well the board manual says the 16x PCI slots will support nvidia as well, as for going intel, my mind was set on getting an amd, i already have a core 2 quad machine. I have had a few tweaking issues with the SLI espically on vista, but it boots

That motherboard cannot run SLI. Yes it will support nVidia cards, but they cannot run in SLI.
James

Chalkie

Chalkie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
yeah i found out, so i went back and had a moan up, i swapped my two nvidia 8800ultra's for two: ATI Radeon HD 3870XT ICEQ3 TURBO 512MB GDDR4, i was well upset when i found out only one graphics card was working, bah... anyways got it sorted now, i wont be shopping there again thats for sure... anyways peace out

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Ah, and you are not going to tell us how much you were able to stabely push the new Phenom with the watercooling? Did you get it just for the looks?

Chalkie

Chalkie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
i am going to push it, dont worry, i just havnt got round to it yet :-)

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
That's good to hear. I look foreword to hearing the results.

l0st.en.Drago

l0st.en.Drago

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
cpu-z screenshot?

What kind of monitor did you get? Keyboard? Can we get a workstation picture? :)