Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

sound popping and "stuttering" :angry:

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Bahlzeron...

Does your machine seem sluggish?

Open Device Manager and expand (click +) IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers. Right click on the "Primary IDE channel" and choose "Properties". Click the "Advanced Settings" tab. What is shown in the Transfer Mode field and Current Transfer Mode field for the device(s) shown there?

Check the "Secondary IDE channel" the same way and report what you find.

wannabe1

Advertisements

Bahlzeron

Bahlzeron

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
they are all set to DMA. No, this thing is running nice and fast.

Primary(hard drives) both are U-DMA mode 5, secondary #1(cd rw/dvd) is mode 3, #2(cd-rom) is mode 2 (both are U-DMA)

Edited by Bahlzeron, 20 January 2008 - 10:45 AM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
So much for that hunch... :)

Have you tried rolling back the drivers to the previous version?

Nighted

Nighted

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi, I was googling around for a solution to my own problem.

I haven't found anything yet, just started looking but this may or may not help; My sound was fine until installing Winamp Pro. Sound was fine with the Full version, but after installing pro, music pops and snaps in any audio player and in video sound as well.

I can say for sure this started happing only after Winamp. I've tried upgrading drivers, removing Winamp....nothing so far. One thing I know is if I format my machine and do a fresh install, the problem will be gone.

Bahlzeron

Bahlzeron

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
I tried rolling back drivers, both soundcard and videocard. I'm really stumped. I guess it's just gonna stay this way, there appears to be no fix in sight.