Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Files and settings transfer wizard

• Please log in to reply

Aleingarn

Aleingarn

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
:) here is my scenario:

Background: I had a corrupt version of Windows XP on my computer, and could not locate the original CD for it, so i purchased another copy, the new one came with SP2 included.

Problem: I perfomed a files and settings transfer on this pc, to "Backup" all valuable information to me. Then proceeded to format the hard drive, and install new version of Windows XP. When completed, i attempted to restore the information that i stored onto a 1 GB flash drive, and recieve messages stating the version of the file is not the same as the current Files and settings transfer wizard.

I cannot access the information; Can someone tell me how to just be able to access the files, i can move them to where they need to go.

Any help is appreciated

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I am not sure that this is a correct answer but I'll try anyway. The file system on flash drives is FAT32. I assume that during the installation you formatted to NTFS. There shouldn't be any problem with that as far as data files are concerned. It might be that some files, probably settings, are creating this problem. Can you leave the settings out and just try to copy and paste the other files?

Aleingarn

Aleingarn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
it has nothing to do with the format of the flash drive, it is the version of the Files and settings transfer wizard. I have found that there were 5 or 6 versions all seem to be incompatable with the next. I dont know what version i backed up with. just that i need to unarchive the data.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Possible solution here: http://www.northerns...76/Default.aspx

Aleingarn

Aleingarn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
UNfortunately that solution does not work in my case, I do not have 64 Bit version of XP running. it is plain jane 32 bit. I have tried the tools that you find when you search for Files and settings trasfer wizard in google. I guess what i am looking for is another version of MIGWIZ.exe, as i stated earlier there are 5-6 versions that come in XP or have been changed over time.

Does Microsoft really expect users to have both PC's when they do "F.A.S.T." retrieval? :)