Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

help me

• Please log in to reply

hamamamama

hamamamama

• Pip
  • 4 posts
this isnt really a big problem and iunno if it even is a problem, my RAM is DDR 400 but when i boot up it says its running at 333.6 mhz instead of 400. my motherboard supports 400 so iunno why it would be lowered but can i change sumthing to make it up to speed?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
What processor do you have?
The memory will only run at DDR400 if the processor is running at FSB 200Mhz. Otherwise it'll slow down.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Welcome to G2G

There's a few possible explanations for this:

1. (The most likely) The speed the memory runs at is related to the base frequency that the processor etc runs at (also known as the FSB). For example, if your cpu runs at an FSB of 166MHz, then the chances are the memory will run at 333MHz because DDR multiples this FSB by 2. Some boards however will let you run the memory at a higher speed than the cpu FSB

2. The other possibility is that the system doesn't properly support 400MHz for the memory bus (even though it may claim to) - this can happen when the system has all the memory slots filled for example.

3. If you mix and match ram speeds (i.e DDR333 and DDR400) then the system will run them all at the lower of the two speeds.

The first thing to check is the FSB your cpu is supposed to be running at. To do this, you'll need to know exactly which cpu you have...

hamamamama

hamamamama

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
yeah my processor is running at 200 mhz i checked it its an athlon X2 3800 bios sed 200 mhz. i have 2 sticks of DDR 400 so #s 1 and 3 arent the problems i guess my motherboard doesnt support it even though they say to. *shrug* if the motherboard doesnt suport it am i able to voerclock it safely?

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Out of interest, what motherboard (make & model) do you have?

hamamamama

hamamamama

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
my mobo is a mach speed MSNV-939

http://www.tigerdire...e...&CatId=1569

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
That's great.

I've had a look on Mach Speeds website for your motherboard and in the detailed specs they state the following:
'Maximum memory speed may decrease when both DIMM1 & DIMM3 are filled with double sided memory modules'

Assuming that you are using double sided memory modules, then this probably explains why the memory speed is only 333MHz. I suggest you try placing the modules in DIMM 1 & DIMM2 or maybe DIMM2 & DIMM4.

hamamamama

hamamamama

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
awesome thank u so much i put the RAM in 3 and 4 now and im up at 400 again ty :) :) :)

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
You're very welcome :)