Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Custom Rig - Repeated Rebooting - Mobo?

• Please log in to reply

tatakau

tatakau

• Pip
  • 8 posts
System Specs: AMD 64 X2 4400+; MSI Neo2 Motherboard; ATI X1800 XT; 2 GB RAM; etc etc...

This is not a brand-new rig here. My computer has been running pretty well for the past 1.5 years, since my last major upgrade. Except that I ran into a brick wall yesterday with it. I did as much troubleshooting as I could, but I just wanted to ask my fellow geeks for their opinions before I dropped $50 on a new motherboard.

My computer gets past the bios and POST checks just fine. Once it goes to load the OS though, it eats [bleep] (technical term) and reboots. ANY attempt to boot off a HDD results in a reboot. Attempting to boot from an Ubuntu 7.10 live linux cd will also cause a reboot (weird). BUT you CAN boot off of a Backtrack2 live linux cd (weirder).

So, as far as my troubleshooting goes, I stripped down to the basics (CPU, RAM, Vid Card, Keyboard). That went fine, except there was nothing to boot from. Hooked up a CD drive - couldn't boot Ubuntu, but Backtrack worked. Disconnected the CD drive, and tried the HDDs separately - couldn't boot, computer rebooted.

Anyway, several hours of booting and rebooting, and I figured there was a small chance that this was drive related. So, I went out and bought a new hard drive (500 GB - I needed one anyway). Unfortunately, that didn't fix the problem.

I also ran a RAM test off the Ubuntu CD (ubuntu's boot menu works, you just can't boot the linux OS), and it came back clean - all my RAM is good. HDD diagnostics are clean, too.

SO, I'm thinking I have a motherboard problem, probably something with a HDD controller or something. Honestly, I've always suspected that there was a HDD problem with my motherboard (this isn't the first issue I've had with it). So I'm probably going to buy a new motherboard. Before I do that though, maybe someone sees something here that I can't, or has had this problem before and has a solution?

And of course, if anyone has any suggestions or links to socket 939 motherboards that will work with an ATI X1800 XT video card (pci express), let me know!

Thanks a million in advance! (I know it was a long read ><)

~ Nick

extra: almost forgot, I was running 2x raptors in raid 0 (35 gb each), which seem to hang up the bios now. even with them disconnected though, I can't boot off HDDs.

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
How about the psu? Whats the voltages look like? These things when weak can cause some strange behavior.

If you have the time I would make a ubcd UBCD and run Mersenne Prime Test, this is similar to prime 95, I would be interested in how the system handles the stress

tatakau

tatakau

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
This boot CD looks AWESOME - I'm downloading it now! (I've always wanted something like this...)

My power supply is less than a year old, and is quite a beast. I'm sure this isn't the problem though - in fact, I would strongly recommend this PSU to anyone looking for a new one! Major plus is that it's also super quiet, and all of the power cables / chains are DETACHABLE!!!!!!!! That's right, if you aren't using a chain, you can throw it in a box!!!

Thermaltake W0106RU Complies with ATX 12V 2.2 & EPS 12V version 700W Power Supply - Retail

Simply amazing.

But just for shits and giggles:

Vcore: 1.38 V
+3.3 Line: 3.344
+12.0 Line: 12.22 V
+5.0 Line: 5.059 V
+5VSB: 5.248 V

Looks pretty good to me. And stable, too - Vcore only fluctuates 0.01 V.

Once this ultimate boot cd downloads, I'm gonna burn it and run some serious mobo diagnostics, if it has any.

~ Nick

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Yea I agree that psu is awesome! I expected you had something that good just by the content of your post but had to be sure.

Let me know if you find anything but I too see nothing but a bad motherboard.

You wouldn't happen to have a ide controller card laying around would you? I would love to know if that would work, I know its not a acceptable work around but would love to know for the heck of it

tatakau

tatakau

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hmm... never thought of that. Of course, I don't have one, but I agree that it definitely WOULD be interesting to see if that could work around the issue...

Would be great for my business too. :-p www;lgcrepair;com. I've had similar issues with other computers I've tried to repair like I'm having now - a PCI IDE controller would be great for debugging.

~ Nick