Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Heatsink for custom computer

• Please log in to reply

jhemfl

jhemfl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
I use my BIOS system monitor, says it runs at 50C.

Should I really use arctic cooling MX-2 over arctic silver 5? artic silver 5 is so popular.

But yea, I want to order my heatsink today, what should I buy?

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
If you're not planning on pushing your CPU any further then 3.6GHz, the ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm will be more then enough.
It's a cheaper cooler, but really seems to do well.

Yes, get the arctic cooling MX-2 over the Arctic Silver 5, unless you have already purchased that Arctic Silver 5.
As the MX-2 becomes more well known, you'll begin to hear more and more people suggest it. It really is superior.
James

jhemfl

jhemfl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Yeah, I'm not going to do any extreme overclocking. Not until my next rig probably.

I went ahead and ordered the MX-2, I hadn't submitted the order when I read your post so I changed it. How would I go about applying it? Thin layer over the entire heatspreader or a line over the core like it says on the site?

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
But a little dab about the size of a grain of rice in the middle of your CPU. When the CPU is pressed agaist the heatsink it'll spread properly by itself.
Remember, to much TIM/thermal paste will insulate the heat, to little will result in poor heat transfer between the parts. In other words you need to get it just right.
James